Warfare Swedish Cavalry

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warfare Swedish Cavalry

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:43 pm

I'll post up somer more info shortly on this thread. Running to catch a flight now. Here are some painted samples of the test sculpt.

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery ... 7-376.html#
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Warfare Swedish Cavalry

Post by turrabear » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 pm

fantastic . simply must have.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:23 am

Barry,
Oh my! What a treat...just when I thought I was moving to do some Ray action in the NYW period, you spring these lad up. Very nice! Looking forward when then become available.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 am

barr7430 wrote:I'll post up somer more info shortly on this thread. Running to catch a flight now. Here are some painted samples of the test sculpt.

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery ... 7-376.html#
Superb!
Think what Barry may achieve if he spent's more time painting figures :wink: :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:02 pm

OK, so that's the cannon fodder...

Now we wait for the defenders of the motherland..

Русская Земля!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Russian James wrote:OK, so that's the cannon fodder...

Now we wait for the defenders of the motherland..

Русская Земля!

Jim,

You are a rare breed for someone from Aberdeen :D :wink:

The 'Other' Cannon fodder is on the work bench of my painter :lol:

With Russian gold and Saxon blood....
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Excellent!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Just a little background here. This is a mastered test sculpt of a Swedish cavalry trooper. The button debate on the cuffs resulted in me shaving off the buttons from these 3 examples. The arms are variants from existing stocks. The saddle cloth does not have rounded ends and we would confirm this detail before deciding on the best way to go re:mounts.
The other thing of course is that the horses could be considered rather tall for Swedish cavalry. I am currently sourcing mounts for the LoA dragoons and it may be that we go for smaller beasts than these.

In terms of the bigger picture, I am currently debating whether to go the KICKSTARTER route or simply work in the way originally intended which was to pool contributions from forum members and produce a limited range. The Kickstarter option may attract additional funding and allow for a wider scope of Swedes-Russians-Finns-Saxons-Poles. A Kickstarter approach would need moreof a credentials/positioning collateral piece to create the right impression in the wider market. You chaps here know me and know I'll get things done but in the wider arena I may have to do a bit more canvassing.. thoughts?

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm

barr7430 wrote:Just a little background here. This is a mastered test sculpt of a Swedish cavalry trooper. The button debate on the cuffs resulted in me shaving off the buttons from these 3 examples. The arms are variants from existing stocks. The saddle cloth does not have rounded ends and we would confirm this detail before deciding on the best way to go re:mounts.
The other thing of course is that the horses could be considered rather tall for Swedish cavalry. I am currently sourcing mounts for the LoA dragoons and it may be that we go for smaller beasts than these.

In terms of the bigger picture, I am currently debating whether to go the KICKSTARTER route or simply work in the way originally intended which was to pool contributions from forum members and produce a limited range. The Kickstarter option may attract additional funding and allow for a wider scope of Swedes-Russians-Finns-Saxons-Poles. A Kickstarter approach would need moreof a credentials/positioning collateral piece to create the right impression in the wider market. You chaps here know me and know I'll get things done but in the wider arena I may have to do a bit more canvassing.. thoughts?
do you ahve an idea of time scale for this mr hilton.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Why not go down both routes Mr H?

Initial figures from the LoA group and then once those figs are available to show, canvas for additional funds to expand the range?
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Russian James wrote:Why not go down both routes Mr H?

Initial figures from the LoA group and then once those figs are available to show, canvas for additional funds to expand the range?
sounds a good idea james . the sooner the gnw project starts the better.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 pm

I am in, either way.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm

count me in as well.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:23 pm

I already have some other fundamental work going on to get the GNW off the ground so be assured that 'stuff' is actually happening now. We have some definite threads coalescing on this. Once the next little prework activity is finished I think I'll ne in a position to outline the investment structure which I'd offer out to all you interested Gentlemen and which addresses as many short term needs as possible. Stick with me.. we're getting there!

Henry Ford
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Tacitus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:18 am

barr7430 wrote:The other thing of course is that the horses could be considered rather tall for Swedish cavalry. I am currently sourcing mounts for the LoA dragoons and it may be that we go for smaller beasts than these.
That depends on which time period you are aiming at. After the battle of Poltava the quality of Swedish horses did indeed decline as they were forced to accept the much smaller domestic horse breed "klippare" as cavalry horses. But before that I do not think Swedish horses were any smaller than in other armies.

When the war started the Swedish cavalry was mounted on horses of good quality. Some of the regiments that were raised after the outbreak of the war (and intended to stay home) were however equipped with '"klippare" since Sweden's stud farms had a limited capacity to breed suitable cavalry horses. But this was of a lesser problem during the period 1700-1709 since the Swedish army mostly replaced their horses on location.

As a matter of fact the Life regiment lost 2 391 horses during the years 1700-1707 and only 116 of the replacement horses came from Sweden. The Scanian regiments had however a larger share of
Swedish replacement horses, but that province had the oldest stud farms in Sweden and thus much greater access to suitable cavalry horses.

And do not forget that even if the "klippare" became a common sight after Poltava the Swedish army still had a large portion of good quality horses in their cavalry.