Swedish language help

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
WillieB
Private
Private

Swedish language help

Post by WillieB » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm

While Flemish must be distantly related to Swedish I'm very uncertain when reading certain Swedish texts.
Got myself a few excellent books on the GNW but stil looking for some extra info on the internet.
I'm not sure if there are any Swedish members here on the forum, but perhaps someone could help me with translating the following:

Av förgyllt silver med konungens krönta namnchiffer under kunglig krona och annan utsmyckning i emalj

What I think I'm reading is: From gilded silver with 'kings crown' ? under Royal Crown and other? in emaille (glazed enamel) So what I'm missing are the words 'namnchiffer' and 'utsmycking'. The latter is very similar to the Flemish 'opsmuk' meaning decoration but it could be something entirely different of course.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. And then, in that very moment
that I love him, I destroy him.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Re: Swedish language help

Post by Clibinarium » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:49 am

I can't speak Swedish, but google translate (which is quite good) gives;

Of silver gilt with the king's crowned monogram in royal crown and other decoration in enamel

that's not a fluid translation, but may make sense in context? "Under" rather than "in" royal crown?
namnchiffer given as cypher or monogram, and utsmyckning as decoration or embellishment.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:12 am

There are quite a few Swedes on the Lardie forum I have heard they will do Swedish English translations one of them for "Jelly babies" I kid you not...

:evil: Ginger
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Tacitus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:12 am

WillieB wrote:While Flemish must be distantly related to Swedish I'm very uncertain when reading certain Swedish texts.
Got myself a few excellent books on the GNW but stil looking for some extra info on the internet.
I'm not sure if there are any Swedish members here on the forum, but perhaps someone could help me with translating the following:

Av förgyllt silver med konungens krönta namnchiffer under kunglig krona och annan utsmyckning i emalj
I am a Swede and I would translate it to:

Of gilded silver with the king's crowned cypher under a royal crown and other decorations in enamel.

But I think the sentence is odd because the word "krönta" and the phrase "under kunglig krona" refer to exactly the same thing. It's just unneccessary repetition.
WillieB
Private
Private

Post by WillieB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks very much guys!
Completely forgot about the Lard 'penguins' :D
“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. And then, in that very moment
that I love him, I destroy him.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:12 am

Shocked at that old chap especially given three is such a flock of them. I will admit to forgetting about Dalauppror who posts here though :oops:

:evil: Ginger