Swedish Dragoon standards

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Swedish Dragoon standards

Post by RogerC » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone is aware of somewhere I can pick up 28mm Swedish Dragoon Standards for GNW, or if not whether Warfare plan any.

Most battles at the very least seem to have guard dragoons and most have more.

Roger
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Swedish Dragoon standards

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:26 pm

I certainly hope Clarence does so!

The Life Dragoon, the Bremen and the Verden regiments and maybe Shlippenbach's together would make a perfect sheet.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Would love to see swedish dragoon standards produced as well. Would also be good if we had a swedish dragoon command pack as well.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:44 am

OK so I think I am right that no-one else does these, hopefully the Warfare team will do a sheet for us. I imagine just one will be fine with the regiments mentioned.

In terms of the difference from the line cavalry are we just looking at the trumpeter being replaced by a drummer and all else effectively being the same? I see the horses being the same as line, the medium horses from Warfare being perfect, but possibly a broader range of paler horse colours as the line typically went for dark horses where they could and dragoons had what was left.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:23 am

We haven't been ignoring the dragoons. We will produce the dragoon standards and although Clarence speaks for himself, I imagine he will be able to do this in relatively short order.

The approach we have taken with the GNW, in particular the Warfare figure production has been systematic and orderly. There have been some grumblings here and there such as.. why produce 20 Swedish infantry codes when you could have done 6 and got on with other stuff. We could have, but of course then people would have said and what about...
This has resulted in the widest range of Swedes available but alas that takes time and money.

We will cover almost everything and the Swedish cavalry have only this week gone for mastering.

The topic of a dragoon drummer is interesting I want to try and further research whether Swedish Dragoons went into action with drummers bearing in mind they seemed to rarely dismount to fight. It would undoubtedly be a fine model but I am not sure how realistic. Any thought?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:55 am

To be honest I have no idea if they actually used drummers, this was just an assumption on my part, I would also be interested in some feedback from wiser heads. Great to know that this is on the list, cheers Barry.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:49 am

Just had a check of lars eric hoglunds the great northern war 1700-1721.he mentions that both taubes and duckers dragoons the drummers had silver hat lace .also the bremiska dragoonsdrummers had the same uniforms as oboists.may be tacitus can confirm the above information.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 pm

No doubt they had drummers, but Barry asks a good question. Where were the drummers when the actual fighting began? It seems that a drum would be pretty useless in a charge and would be an actual impediment to a man attempting to use his sword. Perhaps they stayed behind the squadron. Kettle drummers in many armies often stayed in proximity to their regiments; witness several instances where kettle drums were captured. Nils Bielke tells of how his regiment's kettle drums were captured at Lund. The drummer was killed when he stayed behind to loot the Danish camp and a stray group of Danish cavalry came upon him and chased the drums' guards away. Bielke was apparently more distressed by the loss of the drums than that of the drummer, whom he called "the greatest marauder in the army."

Hopefully, Tacitus can chime in.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:59 pm

I would suggest that the drum was slung when they charged.you could ask the same of the russian dragoons who at poltava seemed to have been used as cavalry rather than the traditional dragoon role.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:38 pm

FIRST SHEET AVAILABLE IN THE SHOP NOW
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Brilliant news Barry thank you. I will pick this up along with some Saxon sheets and Saxon Cavalry when I order the Swedish cavalry. Get a nice chunky order in all at once.
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:37 pm

First Two Swedish dragoon squadrons fully Painted and based, just waiting on Mr Postman to deliver my ordered flags :D :D

Mark
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:56 pm

Crickey that's quick!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:10 am

Great work, just to let you know, I'll be needing Gyllenstiernas dragoon standards, in not too distant future!
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Postie delivered at 11 today, I got carried away basing some other GWN figures and realized that I had forgotten the Ice on the bases, but here are the finished two squadrons of Schlipenbach Dragoons,
Attachments
DSCI1095.JPG
DSCI1095.JPG (199.23 KiB) Viewed 12839 times
DSCI1096.JPG
DSCI1096.JPG (184.85 KiB) Viewed 12839 times
DSCI1097.JPG
DSCI1097.JPG (194.84 KiB) Viewed 12839 times