Scania War Danish grenadier cap badge

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Scania War Danish grenadier cap badge

Post by Charlie Dozen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 am

My 54mm Scania War project is moving right along, I'm in the process of modifying the Tehnolog "Peter the Great" figures into Danish grenadiers. I have one of the four I'm modifying converted and painted but can't seem to find any information on what the front cap badge looked like. If these were 28mm figures I wouldn't be too worried about it but with 54mm figures I want to paint the correct badge. Does anyone here have information regarding 1670's Danish grenadier cap badges?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Scania War Danish grenadier cap badge

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 am

I believe this PDF from the work of Dan Schorr about the GNW will give you the wanted information's

http://northernwars.site40.net/Danish%2 ... 9-1720.pdf
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charlie Dozen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 am

Thank you very much for that info! Years ago I had printed off his info on the GNW Norwegian army and the one on the Danish army during the Scania War but somehow failed to print this one off. Thanks again.
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Some Danish grenadiers would have worne broad brimmed hats at this time. In Ireland Danish grenadiers in the Williamite campaign of 1689-91 did so.

In this image which I think is from the Scanian war period, the grenadier is the third man from the right. Some grenadiers wore cloaks called cassocks over their coats, and some of these cassocks had the royal monogram (in Christian V's case a C5 inside a laurel wreath emblem) on their cassock. However during the Scanian War, nearly all Danish grenadiers wore grey coats with either red or blue cuffs. However I have also read that grenadier caps (not really described) were also worne maybe alongside the hats. I think the 1700 image posted in the previous post with the cap featuring the Jutland-lion is a reasonable bet for the Scanian war but uncertain.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 am

Some Danish grenadiers would have worn broad brimmed hats at this time. In Ireland Danish grenadiers in the Williamite campaign of 1689-91 did so.
What is your source for this statement?
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 am

danschorr wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 am
Some Danish grenadiers would have worn broad brimmed hats at this time. In Ireland Danish grenadiers in the Williamite campaign of 1689-91 did so.
What is your source for this statement?
For the first or second sentence? For the first one there is the image I linked to, which I understand relates to the period of the Scanian war. I have the ebook Danish uniforms 1699-1720. It says that in 1686 (Page 7) all Danish grenadiers wore broad brimmed hats.

Regarding the Williamite campaign, I remember reading somewhere that in Ireland, they wore broad brimmed hats. I will try to find the source on this.

Of course that doesnt mean that all Danish grenadiers in the Nine Years War or Scanian war wore brought brimmed hats. But the book "Danish uniforms 1699-1720) says that in 1686 this was the case. It also states that the grenadiers of the Fodgarden wore a broad brimmed hat with gold lace in 1686.