Stockholm

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Stockholm

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:03 am

I am heading to Stockholm at the end of the month for a conference. Are there any sights / museums recommended for this period, that I should try to see?
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Stockholm

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 am

The army museum is a must. Lots of uniforms, flags and artillery from the 30 Years War through 1809. The Livrustkammer (sp?) in the Royal Palace has Gustavus Adophus’ stuffed horse, his bloody shirt, etc. and Charles XII’s uniform that he was wearing when he was killed, at least I think the latter is there, but maybe I saw it at the Army Museum. Drottingholm Palace, which is a short subway ride to the suburbs, has two large halls devoted solely to almost contemporary paintings of the battles of Carl X Gustav, Charles XI And Charles XII. They are fantastic, and well worth the trip.

Finally, you must not miss the Vasa Museum, containing the raised 17th Century warship that sank at the outset of its maiden voyage.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks I will try to visit those.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:47 pm

I agree with above, I was in Stockholm last week and the Army museum and Vasa are brilliant, the Army museum is also free! I will be adding some photos from both to my blog in the coming days.