Osprey Armies of GNW MAA 529

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Old John
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Osprey Armies of GNW MAA 529

Post by Old John » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:59 am

just rec'd my copy, good colour plates but nothing really new , good list of references, although a really good basic guide, any one else got comments on this title
cheers Old John
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Osprey Armies of GNW MAA 529

Post by arthur1905 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm

I was looking forward to receiving it but I found it really disappointing. unlike you, the selective bibliography takes almost half of the articles from the Great Northern War compendium which seems lazy at best.

Although the original artwork is very nice, to cover all the armies of the GNW (with the exception of the Ottoman's) is a push at best and unfortunately, this book does not live up to the challenge.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:04 pm

I understand that it attempts to cover Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Saxony, Prussia, Hanover, Holstein, Poland-Lithuania, Cossacks, Ottoman Turks, Moldavians, Wallachians & Tatars. I think it was always going to be a tall order to compress anything other than the most sketchy information about the armies of so many countries into such a small format. Not sure why they tried.

Anyway, I hope that Osprey revisit the GNW at some point (and do it properly). However, it is going to be difficult for them to live up to the Compendium and two GNW books from Helion.

Phil
raggedroyalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by raggedroyalist » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 pm

thanks for the recommendation there Glorfindel. We have at least four books on the GNW out now and a book on the late 17th Century Saxon Army out before Christmas, with at least one more GNW book out next year.

Chas- Series Editor, Century of the Soldier, Helion