Trick to identify vessel with its naval sheet parameters

Concerning Age of Sail queries and rule questions, AARs, useful info relating to gaming with sailing ships in the period 1600-1730
Loisyann

Trick to identify vessel with its naval sheet parameters

Post by Loisyann » Sat May 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Hello,

Do you have a trick to identify each vessel with its sheet containing its datas like marines, hull strenght, crew ability...
When there are 2 boats per side there is no pb but when you begin to have 4 or more boats per side it might be difficult to remember which sheet is for which boat.
Personnaly i put a little post it paper with a ship number on the base so i can refer to the good data sheet.

Thanks,

Loisyann
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Trick to identify vessel with its naval sheet parameters

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 01, 2021 3:40 pm

We use the ship detail sheet in the back of the essentials pack and have had games so far with about 12 ships a side.
Loisyann

Post by Loisyann » Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm

I think i was not clear enough in my question. I also use the detail sheet from mad for war essentials.
Let's try with an exemple.
You have 6 4th rate ship on a side. You made the 6 sheet for each ship. Play begin. During play how do you remember this sheet is for this ship and this one for this ship ?
You put the name of the ship on the base and on the sheet ?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun May 02, 2021 4:22 pm

We don’t put names on the bases we seem to have no problem remembering which is which, sorry I can’t be more helpful.
Loisyann

Post by Loisyann » Sun May 02, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks for your answer. I think the more you practice, the more you are able to associate the data sheet to the good ship (when needing to add damages for example). In my case not enough practice :|
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 am

I know a number of friends who do 20th century naval gaming and have the ship’s names written on the bases but my OCD hates it, I think it spoils the look of the game plus that means I would have to paint up every ship as I couldn’t possibly use the same ship as another one unless it had a wipe clean panel and I could re-write the name for each battle.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 pm

My Suggestions:

Paint a Roman Letter I, II , III, IV... on one corner (if you use rectangular) of the Base and put the Number into your List so you can make it to what ever you want. Or use small colored dots which you paint on the flanks of the Base
and make the Flagship 4 white Dots, Leader of the 1st Squadron White white red and so on. Use only Colors that are easy to identify.

If you use 1/1200th Models you can place the above on the Aft edge of the Base...this will be the most often seen Side of your Vessel :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Loisyann

Post by Loisyann » Tue May 04, 2021 5:19 pm

Yes painting a number on the base edge, that is a good solution.
Thanks.