Italy, 179...

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Italy, 179...

Post by Juan Mancheño » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello,

After the release of the new Cossacks from Eureka, I have been thinking about a "distraction" from my 1813 Campaing theme but I have not information about the Italian Campaings. Can anyone help me about uniforms, orders of battle and battles information?

Thank you very much and a Happy New Years!!!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:09 am

Is this for 1799 in Italy Juan?

For the appearance of the 1799 Cossacks there are a few pointers in our free PDF down load which you should find by clicking here -

Eureka Quick Guide to 1799 Cossacks

When we release the Russian infantry in a couple of weeks or so I hope to put together a similar (larger!) download which will include uniform and organisation notes. (The 1799 Russian army is a difficult beast to get your head around - all sorts of contradictions and potential confusions)

Cheers
John Chadderton
Eureka Miniatures[/url]
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 am

Oh - I nearly forgot - if it is the 1799 campaign you are interested in (because of the Cossacks) your best source for orders of battle etc for Italy is Christopher Duffy's Eagle Over the Alps (Emperor’s Press). Sadly out of print now, but if you know someone with a copy or your local library can help - that's the way to go. They occasionally appear on ebay, but prices can be high.

However, a note of caution. Duffy refers to all the Russian regiments in his OB's by their 'Inhaber' or commander's name in the 'Prussian' style approved by Tsar Paul I and decreed at the time. As historically correct as this is, it can be confusing, because just about everyone else writing about this period ignores the brief 'Inhaber' system of 1796-1801 and for the sake of simplicity continues to identify Russian regiments by their more commonly used geographical titles. (Which they reverted straight back to after Paul's assassination). Duffy does not cross reference his 'Inhaber' regiments with their old geographical titles so I found it needed some very careful searching around to be certain about the identities (and therefore the uniforms) of the regiments with Suvarov in Italy in 1799. As I mentioned above - we hope to have a PDF 'Quick Guide' ready for the Russians when we release them, and I intend to include the cross referencing information I have there (at least for the regiments with Suvarov).

Cheers
John Chadderton
Eureka Miniatures
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -

Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Thank you very, very much, John. Yes, I´m interested in the 1799 campaing because of your figures (I´m waiting an order from you, in this moment, with a Cossack Officer in it). I think it is a very interesting "period" of the Napoleonic Wars, very different from the "main" campaings (something as the "early WWII" Vs "late WWII") and I expect to play it with "Republic to Empire", of course. I´m working in an scenario based in the now famous Clarence´s Introductory Scenario and your Russian will have a great rol in it.

So, again, thank you very much.

Juan
Last edited by Juan Mancheño on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Hello!!!
First of all, "Republic to Empire", "Republic to Empire". Excuse me.

I have just received my minis from Eureka, my first french chassseurs and a cossack for the Italian Campaing. They are figures of a great quality, very fine and I expect they are going to be the first ones of a (very) large collection. Now, to paint them, but I have not, at the moment, much information about the french chasseurs uniform of this period (I think it is very similar to the later ones), particularly about the helmet. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Chasseurs

Post by Sheepman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 pm

This might help a bit:
These are Elite figures, Eureka are realy great but a bit pricey for me.
Be careful if you are fighting Suverov's campaign of 1799 using your cossacks as by that time the Chasseurs wore the Mirliton and not the Tarleton type helmet as depicted in the photos above and which I assume you have. The helmet type wouldn't go past 1794-5 ish at the latest.
Have a look for the Funken Revolutionary uniform stuff online (sorry I haven't got the link).
All the best with your project, if you would like to see more pictures of different Revolutionary figures let me know and I would be happy to put them on.
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Yes, they are, with that helmet. My intention is to use them against the Suvorov´s russian, perhaps mixing them with mirlitons because I like the models.
Yours are very nice models and units, a great painting job, and the pictures are very useful for me. Thank you very much, Dave.
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Very nice cavalry Sheepman, I just wish Elite would bring out Austrian cavalry (as well as Grenadiers etc), as I've stalled on my 1793-99 Austrians for the last year simply due to lack of Austrian cavalry types.

I bought some Trent Min Austrian Dragoons where the riders appear to be in 1792-98 uniform but mounted on horses with 1799 issue horse furniature!!! :x So I've had to find alternate horses :(

The Eureka range is fantastic but (like yo said) bit pricey at the moment with the exchange rate. But long may they continue to build the range.......one day we may even see some Brit's!!!

Cheers

Stuart
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Stuart,

I agree, I really like the Elite range but wish he would expand it. Given how he states that he's always wanted to do this range I thought he would then put more into it than what he has. I understand that he does all this by himself but I really would like to see it filled out. I don't want it to end up like his SYW line that is incomplete.
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:57 pm

18th Century Guy - Couldn't agree more, I started off with Trent Minis Knowing the owner (as a lot us who post on here do :roll: ), we even put on Demo games for him to promote the range, but with next to no cavalry in the games. Yes I know both Armies were short of cav in Italy, but theres being short and being none and a game for this period does not look right without cavalry, but the range just started to shoot off in all sorts of directions...1798 Ireland...Carribean...1799 Russians so now bits of this n that, nothing complete :x :x

Oh well, one day perhaps :(
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 pm

I have only two models from Trent Minatures because, as you have said, it is a very incomplete range and with so many "branchs". For that reason my option has been Eureka minis (I buy them from Spain): a lot of models and a great quality.
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I have just received my copy of Duffy´s "Eagles over the Alps" from The Emperor´s Press. Amazing work! Now, I can begin my Italy 1799 Campaing project with a bit of information :D (because I have found, also, the Funken book in the net). About the rules, I´m thinking to use the "March of the Eagles" for a time, I would like to play small battles for now, and R2E is too complex (I have more doubts now that at the first reading!!! :D ).

Thank you all of you for your help.

Cheers,

Juan
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Austrian Cavalry

Post by Sheepman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Have a look at Eureka's new release on this link
http://eurekamin.com.au/news.php?newsid ... AuGipAoBga
Hope it works, if not then look on their website.
I really like their figures but what a price! especially when you consider the size of Austrian cavalry regiments of the time, but no one else does them.
Time to start saving the dosh :wink:
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

Indeed! No hobby for poor men or the skint! :shock:
Bryce
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am

Sorry chaps - nothing we can do about the current exchange rate. The value of the Australian dollar is ridiculous at the moment, but our overheads and bills remain the same. Believe me, we would sell them cheaper if we could.

Yours (in mild embarrassment)

John Chadderton
Eureka Miniatures