Republic to Empire Information

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
TIMUR57
Private First Class
Private First Class

Republic to Empire Information

Post by TIMUR57 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Dear Friends,

I need some opinions about this set of rules.
I've some Calpe Prussian units based as Stephen Maughan Waterloo Battle Series;1 batallion is 24 figs. on 6 stands (6 figs. in two ranks for each stand).
Do you think that are usable with Republic to Empire rules?

When it will be possible have the rules?....(I'd like just one sample version for test in pdf...)

Does Barry use R to E rules or Grand Manner?

Thanks for help and compliments from Italy!!!

Andrea :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:21 am

Hi Andrea,

Republic to Empire.. quick history...

Our group the League of Gentlemen Wargamers needed a very fast play, big scale Napoleonics ruleset. I used Under the Lily Banners as the basic building block and developed them to suit Napoleonics. They are:

1. Just as fast
2. Easy to use but also
3. Particularly focused on Napoleonic tactics, formations and weapon types.

I have never made them freely available because as some point I hope to publish them. The have had more revisions in two years than ULB has had in 4 years. I am on Version 9 now.. also modifications as a result of play testing.

They can be used with any basing configuration. Your battalion sizes are quite OK. Clarence and I are seriously considering this as the next project which would not take nearly as long as ULB/BLB for the following reasons:
1. Already written
2. Heavily play tested
3. Process for transfer to a commercial product already proven via ULB.

Once BLB is launched and I get a feel for whether it stands on its own two feet commerically I'll make the decision on the Naps rules. If it is not a flyer then I'll probably make them freely available via the site(but I hope not :wink: )
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:22 am

I shall watch for the Napoleonic rules carefully then. We have similiar problems when attempting big games. And we want the occasional BIG game.

I guess I'll need to get a copy of Under the Lily Banners to aid its commercial success so as to increase the chances of getting Republic to Empire! :shock: Or perhaps if I don't get Under the Lily Banners then perhaps I could get Empire to Republic for free!! :roll:

Decisions decisions!!!! :D

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Tactics Peter :wink:

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 am

Tactics! I'm a rely on the dice sort of guy! :roll:

:D

Salute
von Peter himself
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:11 am

Then hurry up with BLB so you can then get to work on R2E!!! I'm ready to buy.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:12 am

I need a good excuse to paint up my Elite Miniatures French Revolutionary figures!
marc

R2E

Post by marc » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Yep, count me in as an interested party, wanting to play bigger games than I currently find manageable with GdeB. I am more than happy to pay for a set, even at pre-release stage.
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 am

I'd be interested in having a look at the Napoleonic rules as well, as and when they are available.
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:12 am

simon wrote:I'd be interested in having a look at the Napoleonic rules as well, as and when they are available.
As am I, to state the bleedin' obvious! :D

Salute
von Peter himself
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 am

Guys,

this may seem a little premature but we have already started working on R2E. I made many revisions just before the LoGW refought Ligny in March but behind that I had fundamentally rewritten the play sequence. It is a radical shift from the previous format... too radical actually to introduce at short notice for Ligny as it was a real step change in approach to command/control/formation and manouevre. I must play test this new concept thoroughly before we go any further and will do so with my chums over the next couple of months. R2E is likely to be a larger enterprise than BLB. More stuff in terms of detail on formations etc but no compromise on speed and playability.

Be patient chaps(or as patient as wargamers can be :wink: ). We DID deliver on BLB (eventually :roll: ) so R2E is not a pipe dream but a reality which has not yet happened :shock:

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:07 am

I have actually translated the original text doc (version 9) that Barry sent me into the same format I used for BLB which will allow me to edit changes made through playtests (I am painting furiously so I can actually run a few games) and drop the manuscript into the final format in weeks instead of months. I have also started messing around with cover ideas - nothing concrete yet, just scribblings, but as a hint there will be horses...

Aside from that there are tons of photos to take, interior illos, scenarios, and endless editing (I must have read BLB thirty times). Like Barry I think this project will be larger than BLB. My current manuscript runs 24 pages without pics. That's with limited examples, no events, and no scenarios.

Like everyone else, I am extremely keen to see R2E finished (I don't really own models to actually play BLB), but if anything I want it to be even better.
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:46 am

Tis all good news, but tell me, while we are waiting (patiently or otherwise), if we are basing up to GdB conventions, should that be ok for R2E?
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Base sizes and combinations are irrelevant as long as they fall into the generally accepted categories for 28mm such as 15-20mm frontage for an infantryman and 20-30mm frontage for a cavalryman. Barry's collection is based in the fine tradition of the LoA on multiple figure stands while I have units based singly.
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Thats good enough for me - no rebasing, hurrah!

Clarence, I will be using your excellent ECW rules next weekend - "never had a bad game"!

(Although my regular opponent does have a habit of being reinforced by a brigade at the right moment!)
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....