Questions on RtE

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Sorry for the radio silence on this thread folks I have been away from home on business for some time and will post something coherent shortly :oops:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 am

Gentlemen - if it's not giving too much away can you please give me some idea of the intended (reccommended) basing convention for skirmishers?

It would greatly assist me with some current painting / new unit ideas I'm considering with RtE in mind.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:37 am

We might not be able to provide ELVEN Hussars but we may be able to squeeze in the ELEVENTH Hussars :wink:

At the moment I have realised that the typed text for R2E covers nearly 66 sheets of A4. The actual rules when distilled down to their essence will take up about seven of these 66 pages. The remaining text is all of the 'colour' that sets context, rationale, mechanix and examples to avoid some of the misinterpretations generated by BLB's simple format.
I have learned that lesson very well 8)

The biggest decision will actually be how much we want to spent on production. Clearly it is going to be over 100 pages. Do we go to 150 and include absolutely everything we want to put in. It will shove production costs up. There is no doubt the book will be more expensive than BLB but I don't think double the price Ray :wink:

I will shortly post a text only version of the most requested extract in the WARCHEST. ..Basing, scales, unit sizes.
I have had loads of people asking what we intend to do swith this because there is such a rush on just now with people buying 28mm plastics which they don't what to base in a configuration unsuitable for R2E.
I have already stated that ANY base size will do but I think folks want HARD EVIDENCE!!

Watch out for that soon. As my partner Clarence says, we'll trail other stuff to keep everybody informed and some mechanisms may appear in their full form.

Hope this helps

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:14 pm

barr7430 wrote: I will shortly post a text only version of the most requested extract in the WARCHEST. ..Basing, scales, unit sizes.
I have had loads of people asking what we intend to do swith this because there is such a rush on just now with people buying 28mm plastics which they don't what to base in a configuration unsuitable for R2E.
I have already stated that ANY base size will do but I think folks want HARD EVIDENCE!!
Thanks very much Barry - I'll look forward to that.

I'm pretty relaxed about basing close order units because of the "any base size will do" mantra :) , but with skirmishers I was wondering if basing might be a little more critical in terms of how the rules mechanisms for skirmishers work (casualty removal; firing calculations and so on). In other words, I suppose what I was groping towards was not so much the size of skirmisher bases but whether I should base skirmishers singly or in small (or even large) groups?
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -

quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:38 am

Straight from the text of R2E:

For basing purposes base them singly or in pairs on any shape of base that suits.

The skirmisher mechanics allow the little buggers to be represented in any way you like and several examples will be in the book. Basically, like close order infantry, whatever looks good to you will work perfectly.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26 am

Just the sort of basing convention I like

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:00 pm

quindia wrote:Straight from the text of R2E:

For basing purposes base them singly or in pairs on any shape of base that suits.

The skirmisher mechanics allow the little buggers to be represented in any way you like and several examples will be in the book. Basically, like close order infantry, whatever looks good to you will work perfectly.
Excellent! Thanks for that.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

MORE PLAYTESTING

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 am

Dave O'Brien and I ran another large R2E playtest last weekend, this time for KWC. This game was on a 20 feet x 6 feet table and included 10 players.. the largest playtest to date.

The action was a corps- army level Peninsular game involving 22 battalions, 6 cavalry regiments and 5 batteries on the French side and approx the same on the British.

None of the players had ever used the rules before. We managed about 7 full turns in 4.5 actual gaming hours.

Afew players found some of the mechanisms quirky but the game itself ran relatively smoothly. Points of order were rarely concerned with game mechanix themselves.

I have had individual feedback from several of the players but I don't know whether they will going in this thread. The default Naps ruleset for the club is GdB but there has always been some unease with this. What was interesting was that at least two people said they understood R2E better in 1 game that after all the years they'd been playing GdB. Not my comment!

It is really up to Clarence and I to finish off the major components now for publishing although I still have some thoughts to modify the number of movement points provided by the diffeetn level of commanders.

Our players were not an inexperienced bunch either including such as CS Grant and Charles Grant Jnr, Bob Lauder,Dale Smith and Dave Tulloch together with other members of the Kirrie Club.

More updates soon

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

R2E release date

Post by Churchill » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Barry,

When do you plan the release date of the R2E rules on sale to the general public.Will it be Salute this year as was BLB last year :?:
Will you have a game on at the York show on the 1st of Feb :?:

Regards...........Ray.