Questions on RtE

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Questions on RtE

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:43 am

Hello Barry, was just looking at an earlier thread that had a bit of a teaser on your new rules set for the Napoleonic period. 8)

What scale are you looking at 1:10, 1:20, etc? What command level is it design for; Brigade, Divison, Corps?. Are the basic units battalions, guns and sqns or brigade, cavalry regiments and batteries?

For Napoleonic flavour are we going to see columns advancing with skrimiskers vrs a line formation with skrimiskers or is it more abstract with just line vrs column. Don't know if you going to catch my meaning with that. :?

cheers
Ed
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi, Ed.

I'll give brief answers to get everyone started thinking about their (new?) collections and let Barry go into more detail if he likes.

The official scale of R2E is 1:20 with battalions being the standard, with infantry units ranging from 20 to 48 models. The basic unit of cavalry is the squadron of 5 to 10 models, however, regiments with multiple squadrons fight as a single unit and would normally consist of two to four squadrons. Artillery is fielded by batteries of 2 to 6 guns. Games can range from divisional level on a 4x6' table to massive army level affairs with ten players per side and thousands of troops!

There is a whole chapter on skirmishers (sorry, Barry :D ).

Formations are detailed to include column of march, column of companies, column of assault, line, and square (I may have left out something - don't have the rules in front of me).
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks Quindia for the info and update.

cheers
Captain of Dragoons
colbert
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by colbert » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:37 pm

quindia,
Would the rules be in the style of "In the Grand Manner" & " General de Brigade" ? & also suitable for 15mm ?
Hilsen,
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:16 am

R2E's main focus is 28mm, but the rules will work for any scale with minimal adjustments and these will be presented in the book.

As far as comparisons to other rules, I'd rather not speculate on similarities in style. A short perusal through the web will find many different opinions on all of the existing rules.

Those who bought BLB will find some familiar mechanics, but everything has been overhauled, normally to better reflect the later period. Some rules have changed to improve playability or simply add clarity. My biggest contribution to the rule aspects of the book is reminding Barry how clueless some wargamers can be with repeated e-mails including the subject: Question...

:P
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:50 am

Clarence has been doing so well answering these questions that I just stayed out of it :lol:

The format of our offering will in many ways follow in the footsteps of Beneath the Lily Banners ;

High quality production
Loads of photographs(many more in fact that BLB)
Original and exquisite artwork from Mr CH
Easy to follow layout

The main differences will also be many and signficant:

Extensive background explanations about ALL mechanisms, how they work, why they were chosen, common misinterpretations, extensive worked examples.
The playing mechanisms have been completely rewritten from the ground up and several of these are quite radical departures the norms.
Ranges are accurate and to scale for ALL weapons. Heavy artillery such as 12pdrs having a reach of over 90 inches in 28mm scale.
Scales anomalies prevalent in many other systems have been minimised or if possible eliminated.
Play is very fast, flexible and stress free!
My play testing team have been extremely forensic in their approach to mechanisms and I feel happy that we have a very robust system which not be 'Rules Twister' friendly! 8)

We intend to drip feed some mechanisms into the forum and possibly other fora over the next few months. We will also issue free PDFs of gameplay and examples to give feel for how the games flow. This will all be before release.

Although we have not yet done a page count it is likely that the rules will be well over 100 pages in size (much of that background info, colour text and data and examples)
The rules will have ALL necessary mechanisms condensed onto no more than 3 sides of A4 paper.
Hope his has started to give a flavour of where we are up to
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Questions on RtE

Post by Churchill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Hello all,

To repeat part of Ed's question, what will be the command level for morale purpose's.Being a 15mm Napoleonic collector for over 11year's now I'm going to be using large armies.My smallest formation is the infantry battalion, cavalry regiment and artillery battery.
R2E even though produced with 28mm in mind maybe ideal for what I'm looking for or at least the mechanic's for me to use.I was wondering Barry if your planning to put some more playtesting games on and if so may I take part just to get the feel for the rules.

Kind Regards.........Ray.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Ray, battalions of infantry, regiments of cavalry and artillery batteries are the basic units that will take morale tests but Brigadiers can test as a charge threat reaction.

Cheers
Dave
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Thank you for that Dave, and for me that would be the easiest way for morale.At the moment I haven't gone down to Brigadiers only divisional commanders.
So for morale purposes, would the loss of a single battalion have a knock on effect on higher command formations e.g. regiment, brigade, division or corps.
I'm doing the armies of Waterloo where both the French and Prussians had cavalry regiments attached to their infantry corps would this have any effect on morale?
Finally would armies start with so many elements (Battalions of Infantry, Regiments of Cavalry and Batteries of Artillery) and as losses occured bring it closer to it's colapse.

Cheers..........Ray.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:57 pm

The only effect of losing a battalion is that the rest of the brigade will have a morale test when they rout and it will also affect their ability to support each other in any future morale tests. Apart from that their loss will have no other effect on the brigade or division unless Barry decides to add another factor into the morale charts which is quite comprehensive already. Perhaps Barry might add more to this discussion.

Cheers
Dave
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:26 am

Is there any plans with RtE to have some scenario's with instructions and ORBATs.

cheers
Ed
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:48 am

Captain of Dragoons wrote:Is there any plans with RtE to have some scenario's with instructions and ORBATs.
Yes. We are also planning to work up a full battle report, GW style, that will include ORBATs, maps, photos, relevant rule excerpts, and a step by step account of the action... released BEFORE the book is out to really get you guys going.

:wink:

Of course, Barry has his hands full finishing the rules and I am still trying to beat the layout into submission. With the holidays fast approaching, I know my free time is diminishing, but the work will go on!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 pm

We're also hoping to get more playtesting done over the holiday period and another big one on the 18th January.

Cheers
Dave
colbert
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by colbert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:40 pm

"GW, style that will include ORBATs" :?
They would be Historical ORBATs, maps ect, :?:
Hilsen,
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 am

colbert wrote:
They would be Historical ORBATs, maps ect, :?:
Hilsen,
You mean you don't want stats for Elven Hussars? :roll:

What I was referring to is a battle report in the style of those seen in White Dwarf. The scenario is presented in the intro, along with photos of the armies, ORBATs, and the initial plans of the generals. Then there is a turn by turn narrative of the action with more photos, the current map at the end of each turn, and rule excerpts in the margins that will highlight some of the mechanics. Finally, there is an examination of the results to determine who won and editorials from each side on their tactics (or lack thereof), impressions of the rules, etc.

The article will certainly be historical in nature, though it will probably be a fictional battle. The point of the piece will be to showcase some of the features of Republic to Empire, while providing an entertaining narrative and some inspirational photos.