Heresy

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Heresy

Post by theoldschool » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 pm

While it is quite obvious that nothing compares to R2E and its sweeping swathes of beautifully painted Napoleonic armies, for those among us with sights (and bank balance) set a little lower might I suggest taking a look at Sharpe Practice from The TooFatLardies.

For games straight off the pages of Bernard Cornwell's novels these really are an excellent set of rules for 30 to 100 or so figures a side, you can almost smell Sean Bean's sweat (now there's a thought to conjure with).

Although the rules pay more than a passing homage to the television series, they are by no means lacking in period accuracy, including a very detailed section on formation changes for each of the major nations for those who are into that sort of thing.

With a few games under my belt now they really give a cracking game. But be warned, the author (Richard Clarke) has a very non-PC view of the world (and good on him I say) so those who may be easily offended should look away now as they say.
Patrick R
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Patrick R » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 pm

TFL rules are not for everybody. If you are looking for tournament style rules, back off. TFL is for gentlemen wargamers who prefer period feel over clockwork rule mechanisms without any ambiguity. Know that the rules are heavily influenced by Kriegsspiel ideas.

I'm giving the ACW and WWI rules a try soon. Seems their latest offerings are getting better and better.
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:17 am

[quote="Patrick R"]TFL rules are not for everybody. If you are looking for tournament style rules, back off. TFL is for gentlemen wargamers who prefer period feel over clockwork rule mechanisms without any ambiguity. Know that the rules are heavily influenced by Kriegsspiel ideas.[/quote]

Very true, their WWII rules owe a lot to Kriegsspiel. However, both Sarpe Practice and the new Through the Mud & Blood (WWI) use a different game engine without the Kriegsspiel element.

Pat
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:49 am

GDWS will be putting on a Sharp Practice game at Wappinshaw on Saturday - "The Adverntures of Major Bohlsupp". Will he save the beautiful spy la Marquesa de Gambas Pil-Pil from the evil Baron Mange Fromage?

He might if I can get the figures finished tonight!

We play this at the club - great fun, dont take it too seriously!
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....