New to the Forum and need advice!

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

New to the Forum and need advice!

Post by counterattack71 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Hey guys,

Just started posting on the forum, so thought I'd introduce myself. I've started wargaming and collecting again after a hiatus of some years. My main models are Flames of War, but I've recently found an interest in Napoleonics (being the 'classic' wargames figures I suppose). The latter drew me to this site as I was browsing the web looking for info on French uniforms (for both line regiments and artillery) - plus our local wargames group are soon to be playing a few evenings of the 'Republic to Empire' rules.

I've a blog site which has a few battle reports and photos of my painting efforts. I don't consider myself too skilled in the latter area, so any comments, pointers, hints and tips will always be welcome. You can view it here http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

In fact my next project after the French artillery will be to purchase some British cavalry...however, they need to accompany my British Peninsular troops. This leads me to ask anyone out there if they could offer some advice on which British cavalry were present during the campaign and (more importantly) what dress they may have worn? I'd like to start with hussars maybe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:59 pm

It would seem to me that there were 3 British cavalry types in the peninsula, British and KGL Dragoons, Light Dragoons and KGL Hussars.

Some specific units were the 1st and 2nd Heavy Dragoons, 14th and 16th Light Dragoons and the 1st KGL Hussars. I would troll through some peninsular war OB's to pick your units.

I believe you can not go wrong starting with the 1st KGL Hussars, although I am sure someone will have a contrary view.

Good luck,

John
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree with John... 1st KGL Hussars!

counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 pm

I definitely like the look of those KGL, and I've just been reading some good things about them in Alessandro Barbero's book on Waterloo called "The Battle".

Quinidia. What make are your KGL models? I checked your blog site but couldn't find the details.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 pm

These models are Front Rank, but I'll probably be replacing them with the Perry plastics when they come out...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:44 am

the man has the gift :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

28mm British Light Cavalry who makes them???

Post by Churchill » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:29 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Many thanks for your help guys.

I'm getting an idea of what I want/need for my British cavalry now. The Front Rank miniatures that Ray and Quindia have pointed out definitely swayed my decision to place an order. As much as I like the Perry and Victrix models I sometimes find the assembly a hassle. I'm occasionally pushed for time due to long shifts at work, and find myself rushing to get stuff painted for the club meeting each week. If I fall behind a bit I usually end up borrowing what I need, but it's never the same as fielding your own creations!
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Is there a British regiment you find yourself consistently borrowing for some reason - or wishing somebody else had, but they don't?

If there is, that sounds like a good place to start!
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Weren't the 1st KGL Hussars the unit that usually supported/screened the Light Division? The planned Perry plastic British hussars will include peaked busbies for the KGL hussar regiments.

All of the KGL regiments, and most of the British light cavalry served in Portugal and Spain at some point between 1807 and 1814. Other Peninsula British cavalry included the 3rd and 4th Dragoons and 5th Dragoons Guards, who formed the famous brigade under Le Marchant. The Household Cavalry and 1st Dragoons also served in Spain in 1813/14.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:13 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Weren't the 1st KGL Hussars the unit that usually supported/screened the Light Division? The planned Perry plastic British hussars will include peaked busbies for the KGL hussar regiments.
Yep!
Churchill
General
General

K.G.L. Hussars.

Post by Churchill » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:03 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just finished my 12lb French cannons and crew (above). I've posted more pictures on my blog site (link underneath) along with a small short review of our clubs first 'Republic to Empire' game.
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:17 am

Nice game Counterattack71... you chaps also seem to have grasped some of the core R2E concepts early.. well done to you!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford