Republic to Empire rules

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Republic to Empire rules

Post by barr7430 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:20 pm

Republic to Empire the set of fast play Napoleonic rules which I've written for our large LoGW games has now had further revisions (Rev5) dealing with cavalry v squares, rallying cavalry, skirmishers, command and a few other points which came out of the recent Bastille Day scenario. I think they are getting more robust as we go along (as is natural with further play tests). Feedback from the last game was good and the comments of the players very favourable with amendments taken into consideration :D

I'm a happy bunny :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Rules amendments

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm

Glad to hear of the updates Barry. For those who haven't tried them yet "Republic to Empire" work very well for large scale Napoleonic games. Like all rule sets they will alsways need some udtaing but after all the paytesting we have been through they shoudl be pretty robust.

Barry are these now on the site ?

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:01 am

How about a teaser? I am primarily interested in your basing/unit organization...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Republic to Empire

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:47 am

No surprises with the basing. As I wanted to create as little hassle as possible for players with large existing collections the bases for infantry are:as you already have. Dimensions are irrelevant. Figures fire in 'stands' of 6 or 8. Battalions can be of any size from 18 to 40 figures.
Cavalry are in 'squadrons' of 6 or 8 figures. After some tweaking via the varios play tests the infantry firing mechanisms seem to work very well.

If any of the LoGW read this post it would be interesting to get their f/back

B

Henry Ford
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:02 am

Barry, I'm very interested in getting a copy of your Napoleonic rules. I'm starting to paint up some of the Elite Miniatures 'Army of Italy' figures and I need a rule set for the 1790's Revolutionary period. How can I get a copy? Thanks and Happy New Year!

18th Century Guy

By the way, those Elite Miniatures figures are nice. I've always liked his sculpting style and they paint up nicely. I just wish he were a little quicker in releasing new figures for that range - especially cavalry.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Basing / unit organisation

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Quindia, as the owner and provider of a significant part of the allied forces and some of their French opponents at our LogW bashes I can tell you how I organise my units.

Infantry are on 60mm x 40mm stands , 6 figures to a stand. Unit sizes vary from 4 stands to 6 stands giving battalion sizes of 24 - 36 figures.

Cavalry are in six man or eight man squadrons mounted as a combination of single figures (25mm x 50mm) or two figure bases. (50mm x 50mm).
I now use command bases for divisional command with a couple of mounted officers or one mounted officer and two infantry (std bearer and drummer usually) on round 60mm bases.

My artillery are on 80mm square bases with one artillery piece and usually four artiillery figures per gun. To be honest these are probably a bit big but they look great ! It does mean that a five gun artillery battery takes up a frontage of 400mm !
I thoroughly recommend Litko for wooden bases.

Barry has a few photos of my units in his galleries. Mostly Russians.

The rules work very well with these base sizes although to be honest it is not really that important as dale Smith (the supplier of the main French forces) uses slightly different bases. Barry has modifiers to take care of 6/8 man cavalry squadrons and 6 man/ 8 man infantry bases.

If you do go for 8 man infantry bases you could still mount them on 60mm x 40mm bases but with a 15mm frontage per figure rather than 20mm. My Dutch Belgians are based this way. They look a bit cluttered but they do work.

My goal this year is to get my website up and running and this will have photos of much of my Napoleonics collection amongst other things. I have about 3,000 painted Napoleonics mostky Foundry, Front Rank and Perry.

Hope this helps

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:52 pm

Thanks, Peter.
TIMUR57
Private First Class
Private First Class

Napoleonic Rules

Post by TIMUR57 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:11 pm

Dear Barry
I'm thinking to paint figures for Quatre Brass project in 28mm with Perry and Foundry figures. I'd like to receive your set of Napoleonic rules "From Republic to Empire" because I love Your style of Wargaming (painting, basing......)
How can I do to receive Your rules?
Thanks and kind regards from Italy!
Andrea
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 am

Hi Andrea,

thanks for the compliments, always welcome!

I have been holding back a little on the Napoleonic rules as I am hoping to make them commercially available in the not too distant future.

A wargaming buddy and I are currently exploring bringing up to three
sets of rules out in PDF format which would keep the price down for everyone and soon the work will start on layout.

One set will be Napoleonic
One set Grand Alliance
One set ECW

I hope you can wait but woudl love to see some of your Quatre Bras Figures when you've done them. Pls post a photo if you have it.

B

Henry Ford