Raising an Army

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Raising an Army

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I think the water bottle is not metallic.

Otherwise, he looks quite well done.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Cheers Rob, would the flask have been leather as books I have are not overly helpful.

Phil
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 pm

It looks like the figure has a drinking gourd in a cloth sling. They were not uniform issue. I've seen all kinds of colors for the drinking gourd slings. Most are natural leather. For a more exotic bag to put the gourd in, greens and light blues have been my choice.

The Deux Ponts have examples of the gourd and the canteens here:
http://theblueposts.org/deuxponts/petitbidon.html

I only commented because it looks like he's got a gourd, not a tin canteen, and I like the splashes of color such individual bits of kit give the Frenchies. I'm not being a rivet counter, honest! On a second look, I'm not too sure anymore.

If it looks more like a canteen than the gourd to you, then the strap around it would be leather and the canteen itself is metallic.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 am

Rob

Not a problem at all and thanks for the feedback. I couldn't decide how to paint it and just went with the metallic approach.

Thanks again.

Phil
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Phil69 wrote:Rob

Not a problem at all and thanks for the feedback. I couldn't decide how to paint it and just went with the metallic approach.

Thanks again.

Phil
Glad to help. Keep at it!
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Gents

Am putting together my first mounted 28mm figure but caanot quite get the saddle to sit squarely on the horse. Have been thinking about using green stuff/miliput to fill the small gap. Is this the correct approach , any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Phil
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 am

Mounting figures; you have two choices really file the inside of the legs on the rider down & perhaps the horse this is later is a better idea if the rider had the saddle moulded on & care needs to be taken not to damage any saddle cloths or other detail moulded on to the horse.

Or to fix the rider on with a small amount of fresh green stuff as fresh green stuff is quite a good adhesive thought you do have to be careful not to use too much or if you do & is squeezes out form under the rider sculpt it away before putting the figure to one side to cure. I say green stuff rather than milliput as whilst they both work green stuff is stickier & leads less re-gluing.

I would point out that mounted figures seldom fit on their horses without some work unless the figure & horse where sculpted as a set & the horse is not intended for other riders of the same kind which they often are.

:evil: Ginger
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi

Just organising my first Brit Bn of infantry and was going to work on 30 figure units but noticed that as am slowly building units for Waterloo that most units have 28 figs. Know it is personal choice but do most people use 28 or 30 fig bn's for the Brits.

Cheers

Phil
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Phil69 wrote: Just organising my first Brit Bn of infantry and was going to work on 30 figure units but noticed that as am slowly building units for Waterloo that most units have 28 figs. Know it is personal choice but do most people use 28 or 30 fig bn's for the Brits. Phil
It depends on the rules and figure scale you're using and also if you are painting them for a specific battle. I use Republic to Empire which uses a 1-20 figure scale so my units vary in size from 24 - 40 figures plus the way we play the rules a 24 figure unit could represent 20 - 28 figures which would recorded on their roster sheet.
I don't know if this is really answering your question or not but I suppose it's helpful to know how others form their armies.
Cheers
Dave
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Dave

Thanks for that and will be using RtE and is just what I was after.

Cheers

Phil
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi Gents

Have the first batch of Brit inf on the go which includes a standard bearer. Have been looking in my reference books and come to the conclusion they should be in Brit red like the rest of the centre companies, is this correct.

Cheers

Phil
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Phil,

British standard bearers were ensigns, so should be in the usual british line officer uniform, red coat, white breaches/grey trousers, facings in regimetal colours, black bicorne/belgic shako depending on time frame.
They should also be wearing white gloves aswell.

I've painted a few british units for the peninsula along with some portuguese and have tracked my sporadic progress here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3113&start=45

Hopefully the various pictures will show what your looking for. Painting not fantastic but a decent table top standard, which looks pretty good from 3 foot :)

Bill.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Bill

Thanks for that just what I was after and like your painted units. What paint did you use for the drummers yellowish jacket?

Cheers

Phil
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:44 am

The 61st has a yellow coated drummer, its GW iyanden dark sun. The drummer for the 5th has a white coat which has been dipped using the army painter soft tone. Its a light brown dip, rather than the darker brown used on pretty much all the other models.

http://thearmypainter.com/

The website has a raft of articles on how to use the army painter products. I just keep it simple, paint base colours on a white undercoat and then dip and matt varnish.

Bill.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for that Bill, much appreciated.

Cheers

Phil