Perry vs Victrix plastic French infantry

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Perry vs Victrix plastic French infantry

Post by The Rabblerouser » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi hope someone can help me out with this little matter of authenticity.

I'm interested in skirmishing the Peninsular war for Sharp practice and for the French I need to decide between the plastic Perry French infantry and the Victrix infantry.

While the Victrix infantry(https://www.victrixlimited.com/collecti ... -1807-1812) fits well within the time frame of the conflict up in to 1812 and provideds options for fusilers, voltigeurs and grenadiers. I have heard though that Victrix figures are rather fragile and lean more towards 30mm than 28mm.

While the Perries are tempting as they require less preparation, they are however based on the Bardin reforms for 1812-15 and this extends to most of the Perry metal french range.

I want to avoid details that present the latter stages of the Napoleonic wars (e.g. Belgic shakos) so out of the two any recommendations or advice?
No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience
- John Locke
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Perry vs Victrix plastic French infantry

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:48 pm

For skirmish, Victrix is best, far better possibility of skirmish poses.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Perry vs Victrix plastic French infantry

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 am

I would suggest going the opposite way. The Perry box is about 50% wearing overcoats; with a good paint job, you can represent these as the "duster"-type linen coats that the French often wore over their waistcoats during the summer heat in the Peninsula. You will need to either buy two boxes to have enough for 4 groups of 8 figures and then sell on the uniform figures, or buy one box and find someone prepared to swap their greatcoat guys for your uniform guys. The only thing you will need to do, either way, is get some metal "big men" (officers and sergeants) and skirmishers.
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.