Copplestone, glory of The sun cavalry

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:51 am

Jim;

From what I've read, French cavalry often wore the buffcoat in this period (1670s). Gradually, the cloth coat started to be worn over it. Some sources claim that the Savoyard cavalry wore the buffcoat well into the War of Spanish Succession.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Well I have the first three packs in my hands now and they are very, very nice. I will do a review once I have a chance to take some photos.

For now though I was surprised how elegant and well proportioned these figures are. Very suitable style for the period and superbly executed.
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:33 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:Gentlefolk,

I am going to show my ignorance here and ask what regiments the cavalry could be used for? All the French cavalry I have seen had grey or blue coats. Who would have worn buff?

Regards,

Jim
Some dutch troops might.

conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:17 pm

You could use the figures for any cavalry rgiment from Piedmont-Savoy as they apparently wore the buffcoat in the field right up through the WSS. I also believe that the figures are appropriate for French cavalry in the early 1670's as the blue and grey coats were just being introduced. Some Spanish regiments also wore a buffcoat until later in the period. I hope this helps.