The Road to Perdition

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Churchill
General
General

Re: The Road to Perdition

Post by Churchill » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 am

Hello, Jim.
Your units are of a GREAT quality, with a very clean look.

I´m not sure about their compatibility with the Front Rank range. I have models from both manufactures (and I´m also waiting for new packs from Copplestone!!!) and they are of a very different size. Do you know if Warfare Miniatures and Copplestone can be compatible?

Juan.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:40 am

Hello Juan and Ray,

Thanks for the kind comments. Actually I already use Front Rank figures for my Brigadier and Army Commander stands and they fit in quite well with Copplestone. I don't know if I would field both figures on the same base but, they are close enough for jazz.

The Warfare Miniatures castings are more like Perry Miniatures and are far smaller than either Front Rank or Copplestone. I think, having seen Ray's, I will be going with Front Rank for my cavalry with maybe a base or two of Copplestone thrown in.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm

@Churchill
What Rubbish!!! and what exactly do you base this comment on
I would like to know exactly what the percentage was for the guards at these battles...I bet it was between 10 to 20 %.
Really Ray,

On this forum let's try and keep the discussion fun and gentlemenly.

Perhaps you misunderstood the context of my post.

Let me re-phrase, if lets say we decide to fight Walcourt and concentrate on the action around the village gate. Holding the gate is a battalion of Coldstream Guards supported by a Luneburg battalion. The French assualt the village with eight battalions, six of which were made up of guard battalions.

If we carry on and the assualt matches its historical counterpart Marlborough on one side of the village counter attacks with cavalry including the Life Guards and the Oxford Blues (Royal Horse Guards). On the other side of the village the Dutch attack. The French guard was saved by Villars with the cream of the French Cavalry (in our game they may not be guard/elite but be of the better units).

In the above example we are looking at 40% - 50% of units being Guard/Elite/Better?etc.

As per your post if a group of gamers were going to re-fight all of Blenheim then the % of guard units would be small, of course.
Captain of Dragoons wrote:
In this period guard units were not kept in reserve like Napoleon's but placed in the heavest fighting.
I wonder why Marlborough had his 1st Foot Guards in the third line when assaulting Blenheim Village.
Interesting that the 1st Foot Guards were in the third line. But IIRC they too took part in the assualt and the fighting was heavy. At Ramillies the Dutch Blue Guards were in the first line and led the assualt.

Here are some examples of the Guards leading the attack from last post:
i.e. at Steenkirke Luxemburg threw in the French guard to throw back Mackey's English divison attack.

the same with Walcourt, the Coldstream Guards held the town and the French Guards try to carry it.

And of course the Boyne, The Dutch Blue Guards, the first ones in and on the other side waiting were the Irish Foot Guards.
But as per my post if we did a Steinkirk game based on the English Divison attack we would see a lot of guard/elite type regiments put in by the French.

I don't think playing small and medium size games using a good % of guard, etc type units takes away from the period or gaming pleasure.

Here's what another gamer has to say about guard units in the period - From a Nine Years War Variant of the rules Volley and Bayonet.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mcnell ... rs_war.htm
This was, more than any other era I can think of, the heydey of the guards. The proportion of guard to line units in this period is unlike any other I can think of. The unique combination of the old (the 17th century and prior royal and aristocratic perogative) and the new (the modern standing army and the standardized formations and organizations), led to this, I think. The sovereign, be he a king, a duke, a prince, or an elector, would, as a matter of prestige, raise the best, often biggest, regiment--or regiments--in the army, and he would employ the state's resources to ensure that these units were kept at full strength. Instead of raising a bodyguard of horse or of foot which may fight, as in previous wars of the century, now they were raising battalions and cavalry regiments that held position in the lines of battle. Combine this with the relatively small size of the armies of the era, and you have a time period where the guard corps were very much in the thick of things. It's not that there were fewer guards during the WSS and later periods, for instance, but that the ratio of line units to guard units in the larger armies of later periods would make the proportions quite different.

Here's a good example: at the battle of Fleurus, Luxembourg had 34 infantry battalions, among them was the brigade Seguiran, which had 4 battalions of French Guards and 2 battalions of Swiss Guards--if you just count formations, 20 percent of the infantry battalions, roughly, were guard. The French weren't unique in this. Add to the number of formations the fact that guard formations were often larger than their counterpart line formations and that they were usually kept at full strength besides, and you have an idea of the central role these formations could play in the battles of the era. They weren't so much the last reserve of the army as much as they were the heart of it.

The horse of the era in general seemed to have a unique prestige, and many of the units, whether actually "guard" or not, seemed to have been considered elite or "above average" based on the trappings and trimmings of their uniforms (gold hat lace and whantnot, usually a sign of special status). In short, the most obvious case of mounted guards comes from the French, who had a large body of elite horse to draw on. The Maison du Roi represents a body of nearly 2,600 elite cavalrymen by itself; they were brigaded with the Gendarmie, who could easily increase the total to 4,000 elite horse who were committed en masse. This could represent as much as 25 percent of the total cavalry force for an army of 50,000. After 1692, the French converged all their carabinier troops from the line cavalry regiments into massed carabinier brigades, creating yet another class of elite horse. The Williamite army had its elite horse brigade with its Lifeguards (including the Dutch Guard de Paard), and even so called "minor" powers had viable household or elite cavalry contingents.

It doesn't get any better for gaming, I think, when you can, with a straight face, field colorful formations like the Wurttemburg Leib Guard Cavalry in their yellow jackets and silver cuirasses, regardless of whether or not you rate their overall brigade elite or not. That is another beauty of the scale and the period.
Cheers
Edward
Last edited by Captain of Dragoons on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:06 am, edited 12 times in total.
Captain of Dragoons
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Jim:

Hello, please forgive my just jumping here, relative newbie here.

>>The Warfare Miniatures castings are more like Perry Miniatures and are far smaller than either Front Rank or Copplestone.<<

May I ask, that is "Perry Miniatures" in the sense all their wonderful stuff in recent years? Not their much older and comparatively smaller work (e.g. "Marlburian") for Foundry?

TIA...

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:31 pm

I don´t understand why I can not put a full Brigade of Guards on the table if my opponent is OK and the game is balanced. Guards are, generally, the most smart troops I can collect and play with, so it is not a sin to use them; we are warGAMERS.

"Wonderful stuff" from Perry Miniatures? Wonderful? A lot of stuff, yes, but they have lost their "touch", in my opinion. But it is very good to know that "Warfare Miniatures" and "Perry Miniatures" are similar in size; I have some highlanders from their ECW range that can be recruited for another conflict...

Juan
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:59 am

I have mixed some Copplestone and Front rank units together on the same bases. Mainly using Copplestone officers with half pikes etc as colour bearers. They fit pretty well together and it makes a change from all the officer twins in the army.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Post by jezamonos » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Churchill wrote:Keep it real and historic thats what I say.

Ray.
If you are re-fighting particular battles at a given time, then yes, grade them as history tells it. I'd imagine though that the majority of games we play are a case of getting our toys (and damn pretty guard units) onto the table for a bash. As long as there is an equal chance for each side to complete its victory conditions, then unleash the guards !

Nobody wants to paint 78 dull line battalions and have 1 guard unit that never sees the table.
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello Ray

I agree when field generic armies for made up scenarios 10% to 20% of units could be guard. Still waiting for my copy of BLB2 to arrive but I don't believe Barry uses a point system so like history my forces are going to similar but different. The Confederates will have slightly more infantry and the French slightly more cavalry as per the earlier period (Grand Alliance / League of Augsburg). And I won't have eight battalions of French Guards - probably two.

For a Walcourt although the Guard made up only 10 to 20 percent of the forces they were the ones that made the attack on the village. And by the fortunes of war came across the Coldstreamers. So all I am saying that if you wanted to do a action based on Walcourt you could use lots of guards.

But then again you don't have to use lots of guards for a Walcourt game. It looks like Barry ran a great game using a Walcourt scenario. Besides if you got a few friends together to do Walcourt they probably would not have eight battalions of French Guards between them.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I believe this topic is called The Road to Perdition and not How many f***ing Guards units can we fit on the Table?
:P :P :P :lol:
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim O'Neill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Cheriton wrote: ...in the sense all their wonderful stuff in recent years? Not their much older and comparatively smaller work (e.g. "Marlburian") for Foundry?

TIA...

Michael
Michael,

Even the stuff Perry are doing today are smaller than Copplestone and Front Rank.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Ray,

Nothing to be sorry about, I was just exercising my warped sense of humour whilst enjoying the discourse amongst some very passionate people.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.