New ebor WSS mounted officer and dolly size comparison

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Churchill
General
General

Re: New ebor WSS mounted officer and dolly size comparison

Post by Churchill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Ray
Forgot to add - I already have those 4 Hesse units as we had them on the LASW game The Assault on the Schellenberg at the World Championships about 7 years ago.
Sadly it was one of those games that didn't get best in show that year despite a lot of effort with the terrain. Perhaps not enough interest at the time. Who knows?
There are some pics on our site amongst the 'Our games' section I recall. :roll:

Regards
Tim
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Hello:

These are, indeed, fine figures. Between the Warfare & Ebor lines it certainly seems that great things are coming for 1685-1714.

I have a question, can anyone illuminate the following description from the Ebor site:

£18.50
Dutch Regiment marching WSSR06 - 24 man Regiment consisting of wsso01,wsso02,wsso03,wssdm01,wssdm02,11 no wssm05,3 no wssm06,wssms02,3 no wssdg05,wssdg02

What do the "no" imply? And the ",#" indicate a quantity I assume?

Finally, it could very likely be that it is because it is 5am here and I am functioning as a somewhat subdued level... :?

"wssdg02" seems to be kneeling firing in a marching pack?
"wsso02,wsso03" are standing, not marching?

I am more than willing to put my confusion down to badly needing a cuppa at this point in the morning... :)

TIA, cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi Fella's thanks for your positive comments I'm glad you like the figures.Paul starts work next month on extending the range this will add grenadiers for the Prussians,Austrians and Fusiliers/grenadiers for the British,also the French will be started and I hoped you guys could give me some info,my source material has the French foot with the large cartridge pouch hung from a cross belt up to 1710 and then after that a small pouch from their waist belt at the front also the majority of units with collars all with cockades,the grenadiers with both large pouch and small cartridge pouch on their belts also carring hatchets button - laced.It is vauge on lacing patterns for drummers so any info on that would be great.

good fortune and happy gaming Nick
Eugenio von Savoy

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Nick
Just sent you my initial order. :lol:
The LASW gang are now awaiting their arrival and my orders are to clear the painting table to accomodate the newbies and paint as a priority. I guess thats clear enough then.

Will attempt to get then on this site and ours asap. :roll:

Regards,
Tim
'Like a stone wall' Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire UK
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Nick,

Any further news on the cavalry?
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 am

Dannie the master mould for the horse as been made today so I will get onto the production moulds.

Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Nick:

I too sent in my premier order, looking forward to many more in the next year.

1685-1714 just looks better and better lately... :D

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:34 pm

eboracomb wrote:my source material has the French foot with the large cartridge pouch hung from a cross belt up to 1710 and then after that a small pouch from their waist belt at the front also the majority of units with collars all with cockades,the grenadiers with both large pouch and small cartridge pouch on their belts also carring hatchets button - laced.It is vauge on lacing patterns for drummers so any info on that would be great.
Hi Nick

The belly box was gradually introduced during the 1690's and became the standard infantry accoutrement by the turn of the century. If you are doing the WSS exclusively, then your French musketeers should have the ventral cartridge box only.

The large cartridge box you describe isn't really a box or a pouch : it's actually a broad leather flap which covered the bullet bag, powder horn and bayonet sheath, all suspended from a shoulder belt. This equipment was used from the late 1680's to the early 1700's, and it is dubious that any front line units still had it by the outbreak of the WSS.

Grenadiers didn't have buttonhole lace unless the musketeers had some too as part of the regimental uniform. As for the disposition of lace on the musician's coats, there were no rules governing it : it depended on the colonel's livery and I strongly advise not sculpting any on the figure as these things are best painted on.

Hope this helps...
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks Arthur,if both fusiliers/musketeers and grenadiers had the small pouch on the waist belt and grenadiers didn't have lace what were the distinguishing differences in equipment and uniform.

Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:13 am

The main distinguishing features were the grenade bag worn on the right hip and the mustache, which was the mark of the grenadier company. Grenadiers also had sabres instead of swords and their officers and NCO's were armed with muskets rather than polearms.

Though not a primary document, the painting below gives you a good idea of the difference (the grenadier's fur cap is somewhat dodgy, though : most French grenadiers wore the same hats as the rest of the infantry, though some regiments had cloth caps instead).

I have a great deal of material I can photocopy and send you via snail-mail in case you're looking for more detailed uniform and equipment info.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 am

My understanding was that one difference between the regular musketeer/fusilier and the grenadier was that the grenadiers did have buttonhole lace on cuffs & coat for all regiments. As far as I remember only the Du Roi (Le Roi) regiment had lace for all and not just the grenadiers.

If I'm mistaken on the grenadier lace please point me to a source because I'm curious on that. Thanks.
Greg
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Any info I can get would be great and much appreciated thanks Arthur,anybody info offered by any body else would be appreciated too.

Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:05 am

18th Century Guy wrote:My understanding was that one difference between the regular musketeer/fusilier and the grenadier was that the grenadiers did have buttonhole lace on cuffs & coat for all regiments. As far as I remember only the Du Roi (Le Roi) regiment had lace for all and not just the grenadiers.

If I'm mistaken on the grenadier lace please point me to a source because I'm curious on that. Thanks.
Period engravings do not support the widespread notion that French grenadiers had buttonhole lace. The following engraving by Guerard (circa 1696) shows a foot grenadier without any lace on the cuffs or the coat :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4QlVRfDC7rs/S ... adiers.jpg

As did Mallet in 1672 - though that admittedly is a much earlier period :

I am not aware of any regulation that ordered colonels to ensure that grenadiers had properly laced coats, so the painting below can be taken as a fairly accurate description of a grenadier during the reign of Louis XIV :

I wonder if the misconception hasn't been caused by an excessive reliance on a famous series of plates by Giffart depicting the Gardes Françaises at drill in 1696. Since the guards had laced coats, illustrators and figure designers may have used this as a basis for French grenadier types.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 am

eboracomb wrote:Hi Fella's thanks for your positive comments I'm glad you like the figures.Paul starts work next month on extending the range this will add grenadiers for the Prussians,Austrians and Fusiliers/grenadiers for the British,
Nice!

Do you have any plans for doing Prussians with the "split cuff" or wearing cassocks?