Identifying raw status regiments in the WSS

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army

Identifying raw status regiments in the WSS

Post by simon boulton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Hello there,
I'm putting together French and Allied armies for the WSS. Not working with any particular OOB but looking more towards the early part of the war rather than later, so Blenheim and Ramillies are the two I've been looking at mostly.
What I'm after is ideas for which units would be classed as raw under the BLB rules. I was reading an old article by Barry about putting on a big battle and for the armies he said 15% should be raw, that seems a sensible percentage but which units? My initial thought was to look at new regiments that had been raised at the beginning of the war. The French army expanded considerably and the info is fairly easy to find. The British army (I know it wouldn't be called British until 1707) added a fair few new regiments as well and the Dutch too. The description of drilled troops in the rules says they may be trained but lacking battlefield experience so I guess it could be argued that these new regiments aren't raw though.
second thought for the Allied army was to look at the subsidy and allied troops instead but some of these thought very well.
The battle accounts don't often go into much detail about the performance of individual regiments.
Would be interested in peoples views, many thanks, Simon
Churchill
General
General

Re: Identifying raw status regiments in the WSS

Post by Churchill » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Ray,
Many thanks for your reply. I've rekindled my interest in the WSS and have returned to visiting the forum.

Interestingly, following the peace of Ryswyck a large part of the army was disbanded only for a load of new regiments to be raised again when the WSS started. The ones raised in 1702 are;

Farringtons
Saundersons
Villiers
Fox's
Morduant's
Holt's
Shannon's
Huntingdon's
Lucas's
Mountjoy's
Stringer's
Mohun's
Temple's
Meredith's
Cooke's

As you know, Merediths regt of foot fought at Blenheim and later became the 37th foot.
Best wishes, Simon
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 am

Wouldn't another way to consider that is when the regiment was last recruited, and how much had to be replaced?

A regiment that is much cut up, even if restored to strength, is not like to be the same for a while, especially if it lost heavily in officers and NCOs.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Rob,
That would be a good way too but the problem is finding that kind of detail for individual regiments,
Best wishes,
Simon