What are the essential books for this period?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
sdennan

What are the essential books for this period?

Post by sdennan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 am

A quick confession. I have become a little obsessed by this period. I have almost completed a 15mm James II army circa 1685. I have WSS and GNW armies building and next year 3 of us are going to build 28mm LoA armies.

I have got a few basic books on the period but would like ot read lots more. Could people suggest what the essential reading on the period might be? As a colonial in New Zealand I struggle with English let alone other languages so it would have to be limited to those written in English.

Thanks everyone

Simon
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: What are the essential books for this period?

Post by wdrenth » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:09 am

Hello Simon,

Regarding the English army, the best scholarly account is found in John Childs trilogy (Charles II, James II and William III). He has also written excellent accounts on the operations of the British army in Flanders 1689-97 and the Williamite War in Ireland 1689-91. A recent work by Galster supplements the latter perfectly. For a more French approach, John Lynn wrote several thick books on the French army. Chandler's Art of Warfare in the age of Marlborough is also considered to be an essential read. Jeremy Black and Geoffrey Parker wrote several useful books too, but those may be a bit to general.

Furthermore, a plethora of digitized books can be found at Google Books or the Internet Archive. These are obviously old books, but may still be of interest.

As for books on uniforms, I cannot be of much help...

cheers,
Wienand
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Tacitus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 am

For Swedish uniforms (and also its enemies) you have the very detailed books by Lars-Eric Höglund. They are available oon this site:

http://www.acedia.se/engbok.htm

A good overview of the Great Northern War can be found in Robert Frost's book "The Northern Wars - 1558-1721" (published 2000). It cover a much longer time period than just the GNW, but it is definitely an advantage to get the full background story and learn how Sweden with its limited resources managed to become a great power in the first place and thus how difficult it was to defend that position in the GNW.

The principal character of the GNW was the Swedish king Charles XII and the best biography of him in any language is Ragnhild Marie Hatton's book "Charles XII of Sweden" (published 1968). Her strenght is however not so much in military history but in her understanding of the diplomatic side of the war (as well as having a neutral point of view and not participating in the long running trench warfare over whether Charles XII was great or terrible as king, which characterise Swedish books about the subject).
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 am

Not sure what you've read already but Faulkners Great and Glorious days is a good read and Duffy's Malborough as a military commander.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 pm

It think you mean Chandler's 'Marlborough as Military Commander'.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 am

John Lynn has written a couple of good books.

The Wars of Louis XIV, 1667-1714
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wars-Louis-1667 ... 0582056292

The French Wars 1667-1714: The Sun King at War
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-French-Wars ... t_ep_dpt_1

Giant of the Grand Siècle: The French Army, 1610-1715
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giant-Grand-Si% ... ap_title_0

The latter is in my ever increasing pile to read...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Quite right Eddward, I did mean Chandlers book and Faulkner should be Falkner too! :oops: