Dutch national flag

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dutch national flag

Post by Budyenny » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Hello its only me!

Still playing ULB, though no one charges infantry anymore, shame as I was enjoying the slaughter.

My query is, what did the Dutch national flag look like at the time of the WSS, did they have one?

I ask as my command stands so far have a Danish one for my Danish brigade and I would like to show the same for the Dutch brigades I am painting, or would they be regional flags, if so what would they look like?

Appreciate any help in this area.

Thank you

Paul
To win or lose, it doesn't matter it's only a game!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Great to hear you are still playing ULB Paul :D

The brand new, all colour version with several rule amendments, gaming guide and uniform guide is well on the way and we'll keep everyone posted via the site and this forum.

Re: The Dutch flag, there are several Dutch members of this forum including Mats who is a greaT source of info. I think the Dutch fleet at the time used the flag which is still used by the Netherlands but I don't know of any use of this flag by the army as many of the regiments were maintained by the Provinces.
Mats,Rene? anyone of you fine fellows offer some info here?

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:23 pm

In fact, there were several 'national' flags. Remember that at this date, The Netherlands were merely a union of several provinces, the United Provinces, under the (military) rule of several stadholders, of whom William III was the predominant one.

The national colours were defined though: red, white and blue. The 5 most common 'national' flags had them. For land warfare, you can safely use:

- 3 bends: red, white, blue (horizontal)
- 6 bends: red, white, blue, red, white, blue

Dutch artillery flags captured at Neerwinden even show vertical bends of these colours, sometimes combined with an image of an artillery piece.

Mats