Turkish Wars 1670-1700

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Perkunos

Re: Turkish Wars 1670-1700

Post by Perkunos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:26 am

I've reviewed books for payment for a number of magazines in this country and abroad - including Polish text items such as Triumf 1683 - for the last thirty odd years. My reviews are my comments and prejudices - not second hand from someone else no matter how well respected he might be.
If I think something is wrong I would normally point out where I got my information from - preferably from contemporary sources.

It takes a lot of work, time and effort to write something - my second book took over 20 years and included research in several countries and across several languages. I would not want someone who had not read it to pass a derogatory comment to try and impress others (in my vanity I will say that it has received only positive reviews and comments not least from those nice Warhammer Historical people who used it as source material).
In all my reviews, columns, articles and general chit chat over the decades I have never used the word "crap" -this is not a word I have come across in serious, critical reviews. No doubt it is a translation from the Polish vernacular.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Perkunos wrote:I've reviewed books for payment for a number of magazines in this country and abroad - including Polish text items such as Triumf 1683 - for the last thirty odd years. My reviews are my comments and prejudices - not second hand from someone else no matter how well respected he might be.
If I think something is wrong I would normally point out where I got my information from - preferably from contemporary sources.

It takes a lot of work, time and effort to write something - my second book took over 20 years and included research in several countries and across several languages. I would not want someone who had not read it to pass a derogatory comment to try and impress others (in my vanity I will say that it has received only positive reviews and comments not least from those nice Warhammer Historical people who used it as source material).
In all my reviews, columns, articles and general chit chat over the decades I have never used the word "crap" -this is not a word I have come across in serious, critical reviews. No doubt it is a translation from the Polish vernacular.
I've never pretended that I've read this book.
Probably I should say: "I didn't read it because a person whom I trust called it crap".
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Vienna 1683 by Simon Millar.
Here's a very short review from someone who has read the book.

The book is in usual Osprey format and is lavishly illustrated and packed full of information for such a small volume. From contents page to bibliography there are only 89 pages and of these there are 3 double page spread full colour illustrations which also has a reduced black and white full page copy which has all the details on it. There are another two pages taken up with full page illustrations from period tapestries and 6 full pages of maps which actually only leaves 76 pages of text, extra maps and illustrations.

The text covers the causes of the war, a 2 page chronology of events, the opposing commanders and armies. It obviously covers the siege and the battle of Kahlenburg which relieves the garrison but also gives details of the actions at Petronell, the Tartar and Hungarian raids and the battles of Pressburg and Parkkany.

My personal view is that this book is a great introduction into a fascinating period which what I generally use Osprey books for and this one certainly inspired me to carry on further research. My only negative comments would be that the black and white copies of the double page spreads could be cut out and the info added to the main illustrations and the full page maps could but reduced in size which would have given an extra 4 pages for more text but overall I recommend it.
Cheers
Dave
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Here is an oppinion by Michal Paradowski, who also read the book
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PanM ... topics/700
whose blog could be found here
http://kadrinazi.blogspot.com/2013/06/t ... icowo.html

Michal is an expert in 17th century Polish warfare and author of books also.
Note, that his critics touches Polish army only.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Perkunos

Post by Perkunos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Maciek
I wish you had posted Michael's review first, rather than your AFAIK comments.
This is a good review, with real comments by someone with knowledge. I found this informative and useful.
I know very little about Polish history (although there is a section and illustration of Polish guest knights in my 3rd book). I did buy the entire remaindered stock of Triumf 1683 published for the 300th aqnniversary - Polish text but contemporary woodcuts,illustrations and pictures - photos of armour and weapons, maps and sevearl pages of colour prints of Polish troops in 1683. I gave a copy to Irregular Miniatures who used the pictures for their (then) new range of Poles. Sold the copies - nearly had a fight in a pub with a Polish landlord who saw me give a copy to another Pole and didnt have one for him.
I hope you post quality items like this regarding Poles in future