1672 Dutch Flag

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

1672 Dutch Flag

Post by Orctrader » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I've painted the Northstar 1672 infantry as Dutch. I just need a flag, either "ready-made" or an image I can copy and paint on.

I can't seem to find one that is definitely "right."

I just want one that won't illicit comments like "that's not the right flag..." when I eventually post photos. :roll:

Anyone painted a Dutch regiment that can share with me the image of the flag they used please?
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: 1672 Dutch Flag

Post by Motorway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:55 am

To start with..

http://rampjaar.blogspot.nl/2009/11/vaa ... aylva.html

This is one of the colours from the book "Les Triomphes de Louis le Grand", and this is a copy from the dutch army museum, from the Ten Raa collection. Several other copies have been made of the original manuscript. The colour was captured by the French at Seneffe, 1674

Initially I thought this was the colour of the Frisian Aylva Regiment, but this is wrong. It's not quite clear which other regiment it could be of the several Frisian Regiments present at Seneffe, like Amama, Schwartzenberg or Burmania.
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10 am

22.jpg
22.jpg (62.43 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
And this is "the greater picture" from the Ten Raa collection, showing on the left side the Aylva flag (the Aylva logo is embedded in the centre of the colour, on better copies it's seen more clearly) and on the right side the unidentified flag. The weapon with the two lions in the corner is the weapon of the Province of Friesland.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Motorway wrote:To start with..

http://rampjaar.blogspot.nl/2009/11/vaa ... aylva.html

This is one of the colours from the book "Les Triomphes de Louis le Grand", and this is a copy from the dutch army museum, from the Ten Raa collection. Several other copies have been made of the original manuscript. The colour was captured by the French at Seneffe, 1674

Initially I thought this was the colour of the Frisian Aylva Regiment, but this is wrong. It's not quite clear which other regiment it could be of the several Frisian Regiments present at Seneffe, like Amama, Schwartzenberg or Burmania.
the flag belongs to the schwartzenburgh regiment. at least according to hall and goldberg
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Yes, I know their opinion on it, but it's just one source and - like I said above - there were more Frisian regiments present at the battle.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:19 am

Well whatever regt its from its a damn fine looking flag and I just wish I could use it for the NYW!
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/