New to the Period

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Bunny

New to the Period

Post by Bunny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi All,

I am looking at League of Augsburg forces but am new to the period.

What would be a good online reference for a wargamer, OOBs, uniform guides a brief history of the conflict etc. preferably on line as I am working overseas.

I am looking at building the armies in 10mm using Pendraken figures anyone recommend which packs or indeed have pictures of their units, say on a blog.

Thanks in advance

Bunny
quindia
General
General

Re: New to the Period

Post by quindia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi... welcome to the forum! A good place to start if you haven't found it already is our blog...

The League of Augsburg

There is a very detailed series on the Battle of Aughrim currently running with OOB and a detailed AAR. Many of the units at Aughrim were also at the Battle of the Boyne. There are also unit histories, hundreds of photos, etc.

My blog at Quindia Studios has lots of BLB stuff, mostly Williamite units from the Boyne that have been researched as well as possible with lots of help from this community.

Ray at Don't Throw a 1 has painted hordes of 15mm models for the Irish theater as well.

Browsing around these sites should bring lots of inspiration for the conflict in Ireland. If you prefer the Flanders/European theater I am sure others will chime in with suggestions!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New to the Period

Post by Glorfindel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi,

I will be starting a new LOA army in 10mm in a few months and have taken inspiration from this thread :

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.p ... 622.0.html

If you are new to the period, perhaps look at a couple of Orders of Battle for inspiration. Even if you don't follow them exactly, it at least allows you to get a feel for the proportion of Infantry / Cavalry / Artillery and how the formations were organised at a higher level. I tried this approach when starting Swedish and Russian armies in 6mm a few years ago and found it very useful.

I'm not an expert on the LOA period by any means but understand that, to obtain the correct period feel, it is important to maintain the right proportion of infantry to cavalry (rough 2 infantry units to 1 of cavalry).

I would also heartily recommend getting the 'Beneath the Lily Banners' rulebook. As well as photographic inspiration, I am intending to use these rules with my 10mm armies.

As far as sources go, there is a huge amount of info on this very site. You will also find forum members very helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to guidance.

Cheers,

Phil