Scottish regiments in Europe 1690's

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
DragoneGiallo

Scottish regiments in Europe 1690's

Post by DragoneGiallo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 am

Hi All,

A while ago I purchased a unit of Scottish infantry for no other reason that I liked the figures. They have the blue bonnets typical of Scotsmen.

Would you be able to suggest a regiment that fought in Europe during the NYW, of which uniform and collies are known?

Thanks

Dragone Giallo
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scottish regiments in Europe 1690's

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:43 am

Well it is probably a debatable point. You could fairly safely rule out Scots Regiments in English and Dutch pay from the earlier period. There may be a possibility that some of the later regiments through the mid-late 1690s. Lorne's/Strathnaver's formed in 1693 and serving till 1697 may be a candidate for blue bonnets. Red coats are highly likely, cuffs probably but not definitely white/off white. Breeches grey and socks grey or white. Nothing guaranteed but someone would really have to do a bit of digging to prove you wrong!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
DragoneGiallo

Post by DragoneGiallo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Barry,

Thank you for the Information! Any idea if the regimental flags can be found anywhere?

Thanks

DG
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 am

Scottish regiments seemed to follow a very consistent pattern of using the national flag of a white saltire cross on blue. Some perhaps used devices in the centre or between the top arms of the cross to denote company number etc but most examples seem plain. Colours of the colonel likely then to be white or perhaps you could use the arms of Lorne or Strathnaver who I think were Campbells.
Again this is guesswork but it is not outrageous guesswork!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford