Opponents for British Tangiers Garrison 1660-1684

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Opponents for British Tangiers Garrison 1660-1684

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Interested in any sources for the "Arab" (Moorish/Ottoman) forces that besieged Tangiers during the reign of Charles II. I have more than enough sources for the British (including details of an attached Spanish horse regiment from Chema), but am finding it almost impossible to locate anything for the enemy. In brief, I am looking for details of clothing, weapons, organisation, tactics, and attached artillery and engineers (I believe these last two elements were Turkish). I am aware of the book mentioned in the thread by Adam Hayes, and that a recent(ish) Wargames Illustrated or Miniature Wargames (#350?) may contain useful material?

I should add that I am seeking these for a 15mm army for Field of Glory Renaissance rules, so if you would slant any answers towards that target, I would be grateful. However, I suspect that the data would be equally valuable for 28mm BLB and Donnybrook forces.

It's been a while since I've posted on here, so please excuse me if I've missed a similar post on this subject! :roll:
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.
Buzz0000

Re: Opponents for British Tangiers Garrison 1660-1684

Post by Buzz0000 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 pm

I didn't see a reply to this. The Tangiers "period" has always looked like material for a mini campaign, and I was intrigued when coming across a FOG-R listing for the forces there. It is on my list of future projects (along with Sedgemoor, the Anglo-Dutch War in Caribbean etc)- I would be interested in what else you discover. I have not yet delved deeply into this, but as I come across snippets I am saving them away for later. I have scans of chapter 3 (on Tangiers) from Clifford Walton's "History of the British standing army. A.D. 1660 to 1700" if those may be of interest?
David
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi Buzz,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been away on holiday and then a week wargaming with the Perrys including their Partizan game.

No, not a single reply so far. I would indeed be interested in Walton extract - perhaps you could PM me on here and we can swap email addresses or similar.

Thanks.
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.
Buzz0000

Post by Buzz0000 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 pm

Have done, happy to share with anyone else who is interested