First Try of ULB Rules

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

First Try of ULB Rules

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 pm

I finally managed to get some figures on a table and try out the freebie edition of Under the Lily Banners at the weekend. We pitched an allied army against a similarly sized French army (the allies had an extra infantry regiment to make up fr the superior French cavalry.) Most of te infantry had pike elements so we treated it as an encounter in the 1690's.

The play sequence seemed to flow quite smoothly - we were initially forgetting what proportion of each brigade could move but soon got into the swing of it. The French had some good shhting from their heavy gun batteries from the start and forced part of the Allied line to retire out of their range. This prompted a French attack on the disjointed centre by the French Guards with the support of the rest of the French foot.

On the right flank I abandoned my plan of carefully supporting my weaker cavalry with close support of a grenadier battalion and raced ahead to capture a low hill. Only to find too late that there is no dicernable advantage for attacking downhill! The dice made up for my lack of tactical skill though as the Dutch cuirrassiers crashed through their French counterparts and routed them before the carefullly planned flank attackcould punsh my rash advance.

On the other flank a French indfantry unit was isolated enough to tempt me to hurl a cavalry squadron at it. The infantry chose to stand and fire but failed the morale test and were ridden down. We then tried this encounter with the other possibilities available. We did get a bit confused about the cavalry /infantry melee procedure but my reading of it is that a charged regiment that stands to receive gets their normal musketry fire which can both cause a morale check to the charging cavalry and is then also counted as their effectiveness in the first round of the melee. (I hope I have got this right...)

The French cavalry on this wing managed to quite easily cut up a low grade dragoon regiment, that was parked in their way to stop them intervening in the attack on the infantry.

In the centre the French attack stalled when it became clear how slow infantry are whilst giving fire and that their effectivenes was reduced too. Also the Allied regiments that had been discomfited by the artillery were able to reform a formidable battle line that swung the odds back towards the Allies. There the battle ended with the French having to retire whilst they still had some solid brigades to cover the retreat.

Questions and Comments:
The -2 modifier for firing on the move seems harsh. There is already a half move and fire so it feels like being penalised twice.
From my reading of Nosworthy the French of this period favoured (in theory and often in practise) their "a prest" attack without firing. This appears to be impossible in the rules. A prolonged firefight is the only way to shake the enemy to then allow a charge attempt. Or have I missed something?
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:50 pm

Good battle report :D
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Think you might have missed a few things Adam 8)

A unit's best volley is always the first(just like the real thing). If you want to simulate 'a prest', don't fire, move to charge distance and deliver a short range first volley and try and charge next turn.
This is not the period of the bayonet charge anyway. Most battles were attritional linear firefights with hand to hand combat almost always restricted to the taking of prepared positions.
As for moving and shooting penalties - think about what we are simulating.
Units capable of making full moves and then firing unmodified volleys is totally unrealistic. If you want to move and you have already fired your first volley then subsequent shooting will inevitably be impaired.
The principles of these rules are:

a. command and control
b. operating in your brigades with support
c. not trying historically inaccurate tactics
d. Having the correct proportions of horse to foot thus making tactics historically realistic
e. fast play
f. common sense

I do encourage questions on this forum so please keep asking but the rules have been pretty thoroughly road tested and the point you have made is actually not one of the common criticisms. Would be interested to hear if anyone else is uncomfortable with it.

Liked your battle report :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:06 pm

barr7430 wrote:Think you might have missed a few things Adam 8)

A unit's best volley is always the first(just like the real thing). If you want to simulate 'a prest', don't fire, move to charge distance and deliver a short range first volley and try and charge next turn.
Well I am absolutely certain we missed more than a few things! :)

Don't get me wrong my aim is to find a set of rules that is distinctive to the period; I have no interest in something that is the same as my SYW games but with different uniforms. Decisive infantry combat doesn't strike me as typical of the period (unless you are a Highlander!) so I was happy with the model of extended firefights. Then I read about the French preference for attacking without giving fire and it has confused the issue.

I am not sure that your suggestion above will simulate the a prest attack as I cannot see that it will have much chance of success and more importantly volley and charge feels a bit too Napoleonic. I suppose I need to try to find out if the tactic was actually used in practise and with what success. If it was ever practised in reality I could adopt a house rule allowing French, Bavarians and Swedes to charge unshaken infantry if they have not stopped to fire their muskets perhaps...(What do you think?)

On a seperate note I have taken a few (very bad) pictures of the first of my "proper" figures for the period (we are using our old 15s at the moment.)

http://www.adamhayes.co.uk/WargWarLOA01 ... age315.htm
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Nassau Friesland are nice Adam! - stick with the linen standards - good result if that is your first effort. There is a download on flag making in the WARCHEST - QUICK N DIRTY guides on this site 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:42 pm

On a seperate note I have taken a few (very bad) pictures of the first of my "proper" figures for the period (we are using our old 15s at the moment.)
I really like yer Nassau-Friesland regiment Adam! :D Where did you get the info on the flags?

Mats
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 pm

Mats wrote:
I really like yer Nassau-Friesland regiment Adam! :D Where did you get the info on the flags?

Mats
There was a series of articles in Wargames Illustrated by Mark Allen that illustrated a lot of the Dutch and French regiments of the period and (where information is available) their standards. At the time I thought the series was dull and interminable, now it is a goldmine!