BLB and 10mm?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

BLB and 10mm?

Post by Clibinarium » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Got my copy this morning (thanks Barry), and very lovely it is too. Its given me a renewed enthusiasm for the period.

I am very seriously tempted to sculpt some 10mm figures for the period. I know I have mooted this before, and there weren't many takers, but I accept this forum probably is mainly 28mm fans, and that's fair enough.
However I thought I'd ask again since the rules seem to genuinely sparked an upsurge of interest in the period.

So, if you think 10mm figures are a good idea, put your hand up here.

Cheers
Clibinarium
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:19 am

Depends on quality - is it close to or better than Pendraken - and the cost. I did 6mm before I joined the 28mm crowd and I feel there is a place for all scales depending on what level of gaming you want to recreate and the amount of available space you have. So, I'll raise my hand for now.
andyrob

Post by andyrob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:14 pm

18th Century Guy - Modesty will I am sure prevent Clibinarium from answering but allow me to say that his 10mm work for Pendraken, particularly the Late Romans and the new American War of Independence figures are breathtakingly stunning!! On a different level completely to most of Pendraken's ranges, and I say that as a big fan of Pendraken generally. In fact they are on a different level to many 15/18mm ranges!

Yes I am a fan of 10mm I admit but if you go and look at the latest pictures of his work you will not be disappointed I guarantee. A Clibinarium range for this period, with the same variety of poses as the AWI, would be very attractive to those who cannot afford to buy/believe they cannot paint 28s but who are caught by the rampaging BLB bug!

And to answer your question directly Clibinarium yes I would most definitely be interested. Don't worry Dean/Barry I'm not abandoning my 28s - I look on the 10s as a portable collection to sit alongside my big boys!! One I can play at home on a small table, take away on weekends to the wife's relatives and on holidays to prevent bordeom whilst the girls get their retail therapy.

Andy
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Andyrob,

So he already sculpts for Pendraken? I didn't know that. What then would he add, change from the WSS line that Pendraken already has?
andyrob

Post by andyrob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:18 pm

18th Century Guy

I too would like to know what ideas he has. I'm sure he will be along when he next logs in to the group. I have some of the WSS range and I'd say they are one of Pendraken's newer and nicer ranges. The League of Augsburg (seen) and Great Northern Wars (not seen) ranges though I believe are older and so could well do with a revamp or total overhaul. I would pay NOW for a 1689-97 range to the depth/quality of the AWI range!

If you haven't seen these yet here's a link to a pic of the AWI:

http://theguild.informe.com/something-d ... t3608.html

Cheers
Andy
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:56 pm

Well the plan would be a complete redo of the LoA line, its quite an old line, and Pendraken have talked about getting it redone. The figures are different in style than the later 18th Century ranges, more anotomically correct in a way, but not as nice because of that, e.g. their faces are small and have no features.
Its just a happy coincidence that it happens to be one of my favourite periods, and BLB has rekindled my interest. I think I'd add more codes than are present at the moment. Like the AWI I'd add several packs of musketeers as you'd be painting lots of them, less packs for less common troop types. Certainly it would not be as big as the AWI range, which is only about a quarter done at the moment, but it would cover all major troop types, and most of the more rare types, though i think I'll stick with Western Europe for now.
andyrob

Post by andyrob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks Clibinarium for giving us some hints as to how a LoA range might look. Generic foot and horse with multiple variants plus some different grenadier headgears would be a great start and would cover a large proportion of a Western European army. I'd better start planning now how I'm going to afford another project! Look forward to hearing more as things develop.

Andy
Chad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

10mm LoA

Post by Chad » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:19 am

I would definitely be interested. With my current project on 10mm WSS (pendraken) and 28mm Napoleonic, the economics of 10mm LoA would suit me down to the ground. I am desparately trying to avoid the excellent AWI 10mm!!!!!!!

Chad
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:50 pm

If I could add a request for the 10mm line you want to do. I do not know if it is possible but could the pikemen not have the pikes cast with/on them? I'd prefer to be able to add hard metal (piano wire) pikes if at all possible and I really don't want to have to drill out 10mm figures. :D
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Guys,

BLB was designed not with a specific 'scale' in mind, rather with the focus being on 'feel' and playability. Therefore the rules will work in ANY scale. For 10-15mm I would simply convert inches to cm OR not even bother with that conversion for moving and shooting and just go straight with inches all the way. It will give you a much faster game in the smaller scale.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
paulos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by paulos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:58 pm

I would definately be up for figs in this scale Clibinarium especially after seeing your AWI figures which look great.
Although I normally game in 28mm I am finding it difficult to paint at the moment due to time constraints (family duties :D and work :evil: ) The rising cost of living is cutting back on what I can spend on a project so smaller scales are ideal for some periods.
None of the 15mm ranges currently available float my boat and although I am considering 6mm to fit in with a group project (WSS/GNW) this would only be a small project. I think 10mm would be an ideal happy medium for me to build up larger armies for the LoA.

Cheers Paul.
C'mon Wakey!
Hastati
Private
Private

Post by Hastati » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:47 pm

I would love to see 10mm LOA/9YW figures. I looked at the current range from Pendraken and was put off, especially given how nice the AWI figures are. Get sculpting!
David
Bazza

BLB in 10mm

Post by Bazza » Sun May 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Just the type of news I love! I'm in the process of painting up some Pendraken 10mm LoA figures at the moment as I've decided that I don't have the time or cash for it in 28mm.

As nice as the figures are I'd love some of your more 'modern' style sculpted ones. Indeed some figure variants would be great. So i'd be very interested in buying quite a few.

A nice mix of musketeers, grenadiers, dragoons and horse would be great. Some nice 'character' command figures would be excellent too as I'm using a mix of Pendrakens 18th century and LoA officers. In fact i'm also using some artillery types with telescopes just to add some variety!

I'd prefer pikes sculpted on but hey any new figs would be great.

i'm in the process of getting a website for BLB in 10mm up so i'll keep you guys posted.