McNally: The Battle of Aughrim 1691

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Mark Wightman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark Wightman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 am

My copy of this book arrived a few minutes ago, and I've got to say that from a initial skim through it really is superb. Some very nice maps, a handful of colour plates, plausible and well researched OOB. I think this book would be invaluable to any Wargamer with an interest in the period.

I wish I wasn't working today, because it's going to be agony waiting 8 hours to read this one in full.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 am

Mark,

thanks for the positive initial thoughts.

Circumstances meant that it took longer than anticipated, but I hope that it was worth the wait - Hope you enjoy !

Regards,

Mike.
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 am

Is this book currently available in the United States?

Thanks.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Dennis Shorthouse at On Military Matters will be getting it in. Recommend you contact him.

Regards,

Dan
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:16 am

Is it a book or a booket along the lines of an Osprey?
Captain of Dragoons
Mark Wightman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark Wightman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:30 pm

It's a book. Paperback 224pp. Amazon has an entry for it.

I'm only as far as the taking of Irish Town, but I'm loving it. The level of detail is just about perfect for me. I'm very much impressed by the obvious depth of the research, explaining as it does, such minor mysteries as how Ulick Burke could both have been captured at Ballymore and killed at Aughrim.

I'd strongly recommend this book to anybody with even a passing interest in the conflict.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi

Just ordered it off amazon. The fat guy in the red coat with a beard is bringing it in about two weeks.

Jim
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Yes, I received mine the other day from Amazon, but now it's gone to Santa to be redelivered :x

But had a quick peek and the illustrations look impressve, particulalry the guys assaulting in siege armour, a vignette of that one is a must, no doubt Barry will beat me to that one and do it more impressivly :wink:

Mike, I've passed your comments on to Alec of Front Rank Figurines and he did reply to me that he has ordered a copy of the book as well.

Regards

Stuart
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi all,

having received my copy and read it twice through I can recommend it to all in the forum.

Mike has been good enough to supply our group with some early details - contained in the book appendices - particularly on the Jacobite battalion returns. With that we were able to put together a refight over a couple of nights recently.

There are some shots of the game in the photo section of our website.

Follow the link from our homepage at:

http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/

Regards to all and happy gaming in 2009.

Tim
"Like a stone wall" Wargames Group
UK

ps watch out for our big Battle of the Boyne demonstration game at the World wargames Championships in October 2009. If space is allocated we hope to be refighting the whole shooting match in 25mm.
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 am

Hi Tim,

I too had to buy a copy of Mc Nally's "The Battle Of Aughrim 1691" after reading his book on the Battle of the Boyne.Both are excellent read's and give a good account of the Jacobite/Williamite wars in Ireland.
I've also had a look at your website and seen the photo's of the refight, very good I must say and I look forward to my annual trip to the Derby show in October to see your refight of the Boyne.

Regards..........Ray.

P.S. See you at the York show on Sunday 1st February for your refight of Shiloh.I've just brought Mark Adkin's book on "Gettysburg" and like his "Waterloo Companion" is an absolute goldmine of information on the battle.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi

Just finished reading it today. It was a very good read not too heavy and lots of info on brigades and the like. I also pleased to read about the jacobite use of grenadiers (that ones for Ray). Might see you at york Ray.

Jim
Eugenio von Savoy

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am

Hi Ray,

Kind words from you again about I games. Glad you liked the site.
Thanks.

Yep the book has been a God send to us and I have been corresponding with Mike directly. The Aughrim game was so much easier after getting those remaining details from him.

We hope to go far with either that game or hopefully the Boyne, just waiting for Derby Wargames Associates to okay the final table size. Suspence is killing us as we are having to place terrain build on hold. Never mind.

Still I'm using the time wisely and this week I completed the 1st battn Grenadier Guards, Lord Cutts Anglo-Dutch battn and for the Jacobites, Lord Kenmares (all in grenadier caps) and Bourkes' battn (firing off their coat buttons).

Now on with the Horse Grenadier squadron and then on to Foulkes' and George Hamiltons battalions - that will conclude on English/Scots foot. Thats on top of another dozen or so cloth flags completed.

Regards
Tim
LASW wargames group
Nottinghamshire
UK
PS
Re York show. We will be there about 4.30pm on the Saturday and are staying in town that night. You up for a beer that night? Or will you be just down on the Sunday? Either way let me know and we can get together for a chat.
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 am

Very nice pics... like the Schellenberg shot! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford