Danish Uniforms

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Heneborn
Major
Major

Danish Uniforms

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:59 am

Well I am going to venture in to the Scanian War building up two small armies. I have a great book on the Swedish Uniforms but I can't seem to find any for the Danes. So does anyone know of any books with Danish uniforms between 1675 - 1679, or as close to that as possible?
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:26 am

Go to www.northernwars.com and you will find uniform information for the Danish Army 1675-79, thanks to Dan Schorr!
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks! I thought that Dan had closed his site down, this was very good news!
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Craig Marshall and Per Kristerson wrote a multi-part article which appeared in Miniature Wargames in 1997 and 1998. The article was supposed to be in 4 parts; however, I don't know if part 4 ever appeared. Parts 1 through 3 appear in issues 170, 171 and 180. Parts 2 and 3 cover Danish uniforms and flags. If you can't obtain Dan Schorr's work, this is the second best thing that I've been able to find. Good luck with your project.
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks gentlemen!

:wink:
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Danes in the Scanian Wars

Post by Budyenny » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:25 am

I have a book which is printed by the same people who produced the Ga Pa rules. It is still in its packing case, but it details many uniforms and has plates of uniforms and standards. Tha title definately has Scanian Wars in its name, very good if you can get it. Best I can offer at the moment as it will be a while before I open the boxes.

Paul
To win or lose, it doesn't matter it's only a game!
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:04 pm

If you could get the name or possibly a link that would be great? :roll:
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Heneborn,
I think that this will be the book called "Scanian War 1675-79, Colours and uniforms" by Lars- Eric Hoglund printed by Acedia Press and only contains uniforms for the Swedish Army. It's probably the same one you already have.
I bought it last year thinking it would have both sides in but it's only about the Swedes and their allies.

Rob
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Yeah I think so too, but you're always hoping... :wink:

I've found that Dan Schorrs article (or essay perhaps) is very good though. No plates but I can live with the text only.

One question on the swedes though...
In Höglunds book, both in the text and in the plates, there is a stripe or lining (I don't know what to call it in english) that goes from the neck down the edge of the buttoning and along the bottom of the coat. This is in the contrasting colour, like the cuffs etc. I can't fint this in any other resources (mainly Alf Åberg and Göte Göranssons "Karoliner") and it isn't mentioned in the chapter about the uniforms in Höglunds book either, I haven't seen it in any other plates from the period from other armies nor on an painted miniatures.

Is this a misstake or is Höglund the only one who is right?
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Danes in the Scanian Wars

Post by Budyenny » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Henborn

My apologies, the Scanian book only has references to the Swedes not the Danes. I am sorry to have got your hopes up.

Keep looking, I am sure the info is out there its just sometimes difficult to get it.

Paul
To win or lose, it doesn't matter it's only a game!
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:23 am

Heneborn,
I see wht you mean about the line around the outside edge of the coat. I think what Hoglund is trying to represent is the inside lining colour rather than a lace edge although it does look misleading. Because of the style of drawing he couldn't show it any other way. Another thought is that he is trying to show the waistcoat colour underneath the main coat. I've noticed a reference to the word "kant" in the text but I couldn't see what it means. Excuse my ignorance but is it a Swedish word for waistcoat or vest?

I would stick to painting the coats in the main colour with different coloured facings as the "Karoliner" book shows, but where the inside of the coat can be seen paint it in the facing colour and the waistcoat the same colour.

Rob
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:53 am

Hm, I think you are right, but as you said, very misleading!

You have the swedish version I see, or maybe theres just a swedish version for the scanian war, anyway. No, "kant" means (directly translated) "edge", but in the context it is the same as what I mean with stripe or line. The word for vest or waistcoat would be "väst" but there are no information that this kind of clothing would have been worn at the time, unlike the soldiers in the GNW. Other words that might be good to know if you only have it in swedish:
Byxor - pants
rock, rockar - coat, coats
uppslag (ärmuppslag) - cuffs
strumpor - sock

Anything else that is unclear, just ask! I consider myself quite good at swedish :wink:
Yggdrasil
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks for that, I don't have a clue with the Swedish language. My book is in English but it still uses some Swedish words.

If kant means edge then maybe the coat is piped down the edge with the facing colour. An interesting thought but as you said it isn't in the Karoliner book and I can't think of any other country doing the same thing for that period. It should look good when if you paint the figures that way.