WSS Dragoons

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

WSS Dragoons

Post by obriendavid » Wed May 13, 2009 12:27 pm

Are the French dragoons the only ones that wore the stocking cap?

All my reference seem to show that this is the case but as I have 5 squadrons already I would prefer to paint these up as Allied troops so if anyone can give me any references of an allied unit wearing stocking caps I would be grateful.

Cheers
Dave
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Thu May 14, 2009 7:12 pm

I believe Savoy also wore them, try the venexia site for basic uniform details, listed under DOWNLOADS.

Wayne
http://1699wellish.blogspot.com/
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks Wayne but I was really wanting them for use in Flanders and I don't think any Savoy troops got that far North. It looks as if all allied dragoons either had the tricorn or fur cap so it looks as if they are going to end up as French after all.

Cheers
Dave
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi

The Dutch Dragoons wore French style dragoon caps as well. They had 4 units in the WSS. If you look at the gallery on this site under dutch for the WSS/LOA you will see Barrys fine paint work for the Dutch Guard Dragoons. 8)
Pabblo41
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 15, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Pabblo but you will notice that it is the fur dragoon caps that they are wearing whereas the ones I have are all cloth.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Come on Dave.... :roll:

A little green stuff... stippled when -... have a look at the converted French Dragoons posing as English dragoons in Essex Regt (either somewhere in the gallery or in BLB) it is possible :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:21 am

Hi

The French dragoons caps in the WSS (in fact up to the 7 years war) had both fur and cloth bands, they also wore tricorn/floppy hats. It was down to the unit commander (owner), what kind of cap they wore, and up to the indivudal trooper if they wore the cap or the tricorne. I would not be surprized if they wore both types of cap as well.

The Dutch were no different. As Barry says.. a little bit of milliput or some other modeling putty to the fur band and there you are.. Dutch Dragoons :wink: .

Saphersons Army of William III has the uniform details and some flag details (from cavalier books). There are also Robert Hall's CD (from Baccus 6mm) and booklets from Northernwars.com. But the CD and booklet are in German, but they do contain a lot more info on the Dutch of the period than is available in English.
Pabblo41
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu May 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Dragoons!, Did somebody say Dragoons :!:
:wink:

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons