Figure Base Thickness?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Anonymous

Figure Base Thickness?

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:21 pm

I am about to order Plywood Bases from Litko and was unsure whether to buy the 3mm or 1.5mm thickness. I will be mounting 6 figures per base as per the ULB rules and dressing the bases like Brian Phillips stunning regiments. I have never done this before but I thought I might as well aim high!

So, should I buy 3mm or 1.5mm thickness?
JMTS

Post by JMTS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:54 pm

I use 2mm MDF ones from ERM for 15mm figures. I'd be wary of 1.5mm especially if I was using 25s/28s. I don't think 3mm would be a problem, except you need to think how you deal with the edge. (but on 3mm there may be enough depth to have clear marks of colour as unit markers/identifiers at the rear)
Jeremy M.T. Sutcliffe
Wargaming for 30years +
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:09 pm

Don't go for the thinner bases on 28mm figures. If you want to get the base texture like Brian you'll need to apply considerable amounts of 'stuff' which, when it dries will create contraction stresses which in turn could warp even 3mm if you put on too much or make it too -. Even dry media such as Milliput can warp 3mm if applied too thick.

I'd go 3mm, glue figs in position on base, milliput around their bases and then when dry run a thin coat of PVA glue across entire base. Spinkle on fine sand, allow to dry and then paint. 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 am

I've always preferred thicker bases to thinner ones for a couple of reasons.

But one is something that most people don't think about. A thicker base is safer when transporting toops. They are far less likely to "slide" over each other. I've seen thin metal bases litterally chop horses lets off after a bumpy ride.

I also find them much easier to handle and move. Remember, it is much better to handle the base than the figures -- and a thin base is harder to get a hold of.

I would most definitely go with the thicker base.

-- Jeff
AppleMak

Post by AppleMak » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:42 pm

I make my own based out of 'Daler' board. A prepared board for artists. It has a smooth side and a textured size. Not sure of the depth, but I suspect at least 3mm. But then I use all-in bases of 27-30 figures on each one, so I need a heavier base.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:23 pm

I use the 3mm bases for all my projects...
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bases

Post by Budyenny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi

I use 3mm mdf, can get a pre cut sheet in Homebase for 2 pounds, lasts ages. I use textured polytex for the earth effect and find it does'nt warp the bases, it can be cut to size using a stanley knife too.

Paul Ireland
To win or lose, it doesn't matter it's only a game!
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:36 am

From experience, warping can be prevented if you first prime the base on both sides, before applying media.
barr7430 wrote:If you want to get the base texture like Brian you'll need to apply considerable amounts of 'stuff' which, when it dries will create contraction stresses which in turn could warp even 3mm if you put on too much or make it too -. Even dry media such as Milliput can warp 3mm if applied too thick.