Sedgemoor.

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sedgemoor.

Post by lenin » Sun May 29, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi,
The gallery about the battle of Sedgemoor is great. It is a period of history that enthralls me, the whole idea about what might have been if Monmouth had won is fascinating.
I believe that the OB for this scrap was as follows, if I'm wrong please put me straight:
James' army was commanded by the Earl of Feversham.
Under his command was Major-General Churchill.
The Royal Dragoons
The Royal Regiment of Foot.
King's Footguards
Dumbarton's Foot
Kirke's Foot
Trelawney's Foot
under Feversham's direct command was;
The Horse Guards
Oglethorpe's

Monmouths army contained;
Lord Grey's Horse
Several rebel foot regiments, one of which was the Red Regiment

I would also like to say the conversions to create Oglethorpe's are brilliant. However for those of us with less conversion talents, Reiver Castings (Old Glory) produce an excellant pack of lobster helmeted horse. I know some people find these figures a bit strange but their detail is great. As in so many cases figures that look strange before painting paint up well, and vice-versa.
:roll:
Cheers and keep up the good work, Andy
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenin » Sun May 29, 2005 9:50 pm

Should have added this.
If you move on slightly in time from Monmouth's failed attempt to wrest the throne from James Stuart, you arrive at the so called 'Glorious Revolution' ( allthough what was Glorious or Revolutionary about it has and is open to discussion) the ultimate in 'What ifs', if James had shown the same resolutness against Willem as he had against Monmouth might not history have taken a different path. Imagine the Royal Army, possibly containing Churchill etc, meeting the army of Willem somewhere near Salisbury. It almost makes the mouth water. Who would stay loyal to King James, and would time prove his greatest enemy?
:D
Cheers, Andy
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

THE PRETENDER?

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 29, 2005 10:37 pm

Thanks Andy!

You are right on your orbat. The Rebel Regiments have been given 'colour' titles: Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and White but they may well have been known by the names of their colonel's: Wade, Bovet, Matthews, Holmes, Ffaulkes at the time. There was also and independent company from Lyme Regis.

I went back to look at the 'Blues' again. I think anyone could do it. If you look closely at the cuffs, I have just painted the upper part of the gauntlets as cuffs. The buffs coats have been painted blue, some of the heads have been chopped and repositioned.

Amazingly when Adrian and I put the game on at PARTIZAN today a huge number of people were actually very familiar with the battle which surprised me. In fact there were at least five different people who had taken part in a re enactment at Sedgemoor in 1985(300th Anniversary) and entertained us with tales of pushing their pikes down into the Bussex Rhine without 'bottoming out'. All were advised to stay clear of it.
Two guys also talked of a famous(at the time) but now very obscure TV show in the 1970s called THE PRETENDER which was based around the story of a Dutch Gunner and a young boy in the Rebel Army. Talk of this led to many more people talking about the show which I seem to recall but vaguely.
A very successful day indeed today. The game was very well received and both Adrian and I were vey happy with it.

I've posted pics of everyone else's stuff today but not mine. Later for that

Cheers and thanks

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenin » Mon May 30, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Barry,
I had the priviledge, as a member of the ECWS in 1985, to take part in certain Monmouth 300th celebrations. Part of the march that took place in Glastonbury and the recreation of Sedgemoor at that years Bath and West Show, I was part of Dumbartons Foot. I also remember that 1970's TV series (unfortunately) at the time I thought it was great, even though I recall the main characters were two children who's father was killed at Sedgemoor and were then taken under the wing of the Dutch gunner. I guess that my interest in that period stems from my involvement. If anyone is intereted Godolphins Sealed Knot regiment also recreate one of Monmouths regiments (green I think) the web address is www.godolphin-rof.org.uk
:mrgreen:
Cheers, Andy
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 30, 2005 8:16 pm

Good stuff on the Red regiment via that link Andy. Pity there is no photo though!
Thanks

Barry
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
lenin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenin » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi Barry,
Here is a web site I got from the Godolphins site. You may have it already, but what the hey.

www.monmouthhaslanded.com

Cheers, Andy