PLEASE NOTE: BENEATH THE LILY BANNERS

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

PLEASE NOTE: BENEATH THE LILY BANNERS

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Dear All,

after much debate and chin rubbing, Clarence and I have decided to alter the name of our forthcoming rules from
Under the Lily Banners to
Beneath the Lily Banners

A small change you might think and then you might also think why bother? :lol:
Well, it is all a matter of being watertight on copyright. There is a TYW boardgame on the market just now called Under the Lily Banners. I was completely unaware of it until some forum users pointed it out :oops: ...
There is of course no copywriting of a name or title but even so, we have decided to keep the whole thing clean by copywriting Beneath the Lily Banners.
Just in case when it comes out you can't find it!!! :roll:

Having seen the (near)finished article I am very happy :D Clarence and I have both sunk a lot of time into this project, learned many lessons and, if all goes to plan, will follow it all up with another rule set in the same vein but a different period..
Let's see if it flies... :!:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Spiraluk
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Spiraluk » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:25 pm

You could have used the singular and called it Under the Lilly Banner. :wink:
Bill T

"Here to add tone to an otherwise vulgar brawl"
www.musketeer-miniatures.com
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:27 pm

Indeed Bill 8) but I wanted to retain the sentiment of the orginal :roll:
Contwnt is the same though :wink:

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Aye you really need to watch out. I kid you not in this case. We had a girl called Lily Banner(man) in my class in primary school.She was a hefty built lass. you certainly wouldn't have wanted to be under her.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 pm

I look forward to the Memoirs of Gentleman Jim Wallace, Raconteur,Artist and Bon Vivuer of Dumfries... All good bookstores £ 10.99 8)

Henry Ford
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:58 pm

Just a brief bit of a thought . . .

Finding "Beneath the Lily Banners" in a list of game titles will take a LOT less scrolling than finding "Under the Lily Banners" . . . so this name change is a definite plus.

Besides, now there won't be confusion between ULB4 and BLB.

Have some great Holidays.

-- Jeff
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:55 am

Barry,

Of course, changing the name is purely an academic excercise if the bloody things never come out... do we have a release date yet? :twisted:

Angus K.
Penned beneath the Orange Banner
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Happy New Year to you grumpy arse :wink:

The scenarios are going in as I write... hold your horses, one is the Boyne(or the crossing at Oldbridge to be precise). That should bring a cheer to your cold Jaffa Heart....

Also waiting on some last minute advertising responses. :roll:

Cheers

Comte de Lily Liver 8)

Henry Ford
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

And on the Twelfth

Post by Angus Konstam » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:20 pm

So, ma wee Sun King,

Does this mean they'll hit the streets some time before the next anniversary of the battle? That means there's hope yet that;

Those brave men who crossed the Boyne have not fought or died in vain,
Our Unity, Religion, Laws, and Freedom to maintain...
etc. etc ...

Pip Pip,

Wullie of Jaffa
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:06 pm

I should really censor that extremist intolerant bigotry from the 'universal' dare I say, catholic, church which is this forum 8)
But, in a spirit of freedom of speech, each to his own and knowing that you are certifiable... I'll let it stand :wink:

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Beneath the Lily Banners

Post by Churchill » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Hello Barry,
Just joined the LOA forum and new to the period.I've heard of many people speak highly on your rules Beneath the Lily Banners and look forward to getting a copy myself.I was at the York show today and hoped to buy a copy there, but couldn't find a set of the rules.I'll be attending Salute again this year and was wondering if they might be out by then and who will be selling copies or can I buy a set directly from you.
I'm interested in the British/Allied Marlburian army of the WSS and will be using Front Rank figures, but I alway's like to add a few variant's to my unit's so can you help me with other manufactures who might fit in with Front Rank.
Can you name a few books to be on the look out for concerning uniform's for the said army and any company who make good flag's.
Finally will the Rules also include Army List for the period and if not what would you recommend.

Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated........Regards Ray
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:26 pm

Welcome Ray! :D

It is a great period indeed! A previous drought on figures has been banished by several new and excellent ranges. In no particular order the following manufacturers deserve a look (including some ranges which are technically out of period but which with some or even no converting are eminently usable:

FOUNDRY Grand Alliance/Marlburian & GNW ranges
FOUNDRY 7YW range - Russians particularly useful especially those in Corps of Observation waist coats and the New Coated Russian who can actually substitute for Swedes!
REIVER CASTINGS: Extremely extensive range with many wonderful figures
MUSKETEER MINIATURES: Expertly sculpted by one of the UK's top figure designers
FRONT RANK of course you know of them!
STRATAGEM/TRENT MINIATURES: Limited and patchy range but some nice figs in there
DIXONS: Good range

I think that should be enough for now.

The rules will be available directly through this site and possibly through some traders at shows throughout the UK.

I will send you the 'free version IV' check your Inbox after reading this mail.

For info on the period I strongly recommend you make a cup of tea and take a trawl through this forum, there is a huge amount of referecne material here from some very knowledgable people including Bibliographies, battle accounts, orbats, unifrom info and site links.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Barry

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Many Thanx

Post by Churchill » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Barry,

Thank you very much for your e-mail and a copy of the version 4 Rules and Play Sheets.I'll read these inside out and try and understand everything about them, but after a quick glimse of the Playsheet's look very interesting and easy to follow.
The list of figure manufactures was very helpful indeed and Dixons and Old Glory were at the York show, but it's hard to compare figures when I don't own any yet and I've only seen Front Ranks on their website.I'll start my collection at Salute as Front Rank are attending.Will the new rules "Beneath The Lily Banners" be on sale at Salute.I am personal friend's with the owner's of Reiver Casting's and have known Mark Naylor and Ray Jobling for many year's unfortunatly their range at present doe's not include the WSS.
One of the book's I brought at York was "The Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars" by CS Grant and published by Partizan Press.Do you know of any other's on uniform's of the British Army of this period.Finally do you make your own flag's if not can you tell me which manufacture you use.

Regards Ray.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:21 pm

I hope to have the rules out before SALUTE. I may well come to an arrangment with Reiver on distribution, some of their figures will actually appear in the rules.
CS Grant is actually a gaming friend of mine and a member of our extended wargaming group:The League of Gentlemen Wargamers.

I forgot about Old Glory :oops:

Books ; there are so many but I would recommend you get a hold of the Osprey titles: Marlborough's Army, Louis XIV's Army, Blenheim, The Boyne, British Army 1660-1702?? can't remember the precise dates.
Get a hold of the CD back issues of Wargames Illustrated from Issue 40? to about issue 120 there was an occasiobal but hugely useful fully illustrated guide to the period of the Grand Alliance and Marlburian Wars by Mark Allen.
Read the Partizan Press books by Stephen Ede Borrett and Alan Sapherson (about twelve+ titles) all dealing with this period.

That's good for a start!!

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Great Forum

Post by Churchill » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:29 pm

Thank you very much for your help and guidance into this period.I'll keep a watchful eye out for the book's you mentioned.Great new's about the new rule's, I can't wait to own a copy and I know one or two other's at my club "Washington Wargamer's" that will be buying them.I think other wargamer's will be after these rules and they'll sell like hotcakes.
I'm also pleased to hear that my friend's at Reiver are to be distributor's of Beneath The Lily Banner's and that their figure's will appear inside.
Already I've found this forum very helpful and I'm slowly making my way though all the thread's posted by other member's to gather information, but there doesn't appear to be a gallery of painted figure's unless I'm missing something.
Finally Barry do you and the rest of your wargaming group "The League of Gentlemen Wargamers" ever hold a gaming weekend where other interested parties may attend.

Regards Ray