King's Dismounted Dragoons and Queens Dismounted Dragoons

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

King's Dismounted Dragoons and Queens Dismounted Dragoons

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Hello all

www.regiments.org has a nice page showing some info on the breakdown between the Irish Brigade in the service of France and James II Jacobite Army in exile. See link

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/euro ... ishbde.htm

For the army in exile there are two Dismounted Dragoons Regiments; The King's and The Queen's.

A few questions come to mind :?: Did these two units fight as formed regiments in the campagin in Ireland 1690-91 or were they formed/reformed in France after the Treaty of Limerick from existing units.

It seems that each regiment kept one sqn each in the mounted role. Regiments.org classifies them as 'Horse'. Doesn't point out how many sqn's each regiment has. When I posted this topic on the miniatures page the one response I recieved was that on another webpage ORBat the two units were listed as battalions.

:idea: How would you recreate / use these units for ULB: 1) treat them as dismounted dragoons, each regiment with two stands of six figures, or 2) Have each regiment with two stands but one mounted and one dismounted. I guess on the table top you could 'brigade' the two foot stands as a unit and the same with the Horse/mounted Dragoons. May form a nice advance/rear guard.

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Further, as to the above post I have found some info on the Queens Dismounted Dragoons.

IAW the website http://indigo.ie/~wildgees/

After the disbandment of the Jacobite Army after the War of Grand Alliance the troops from The Queens Dragoons along with the Regiment of Charlemont (former O'Neill Regiment) formed the Regiment of Galmony (1698-1714).

When Galmony was disbanded in 1714 it appears that the remaining men were absorbed in Regiment de Dillion.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons