Blenheim OOB

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Churchill
General
General

Marlburian British.

Post by Churchill » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I am not surprised about one of your units winning a prize. Well done :D

I was surprised that researching Marlborough's British wasn't as straight forward as you would think. I don't plan on getting the whole force like yourself. Maybe just 4 battalions, 4 squadrons and a gun to start. I am aware of those plates you mentioned and Ian Stanford's book from following this topic. I can't help thinking though that I could use your photos as a reference :D

Cheers,

Peter
Churchill
General
General

Research

Post by Churchill » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Ray,

Wow! I am looking forward to seeing those flags! I am not up to hand painting flags myself so I may try some colour photocopy fiddling about if no-one is printing them.

Did you not feel like a break from doing all the infantry first and starting some of the cavalry units?

Peter
Churchill
General
General

All the infantry regiments finished!!!

Post by Churchill » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:28 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi Churchill
Nice units as always, Well painted in a very distinctive style. Having looked at your Napoleonic cavalry I see that your painting style has changed. Do you have different techniques for different periods?
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:33 am

Very Very nice again Ray. Definitely a fan of Front Rank. They paint up really nicely in the hands of a good brushman.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 am

Very Very nice again Ray. Definitely a fan of Front Rank. They paint up really nicely in the hands of a good brushman.
Yes they do. Pity it was not Ray who painted them. Infact it is a fellow club member of mine called Bob Lorton.
After buying some figures from Bob off Ebay Ray commissioned Bob to do the last 10 regiments for his British army.
Now I would not have noticed any of this had it not benn for two thing. 1: I happened to be at Bob's house when he was taking some photos that he was going to send to Ray and 2: I recognise Bob's basing style.

When I saw the units on the forum I contacted Bob and was asked not to say anything until the commission had been finished. That has been done.

A couple of things Bob is Cheltenham Town supporter hence the supporters programme in a few of the photos. (bet Ray does not have a copy!)

Bob met Ray and pointed out to him that Bob knows me and this should have given him some idea as to what the future would hold.

I have also hinted on occasion that I knew Ray had not painted them but Ray just blundered on making up lie after lie to try to cover his tracks.

Also placing a unit in a painting competition and taking the prize takes the biscuit. I own a few armies that Bob has painted (mainly 40K) and I have never allowed them to be entered as painted by me.

Why am I doing this and not Bob, because I asked to do it I have sat on this for a number of months now and at last have the chance to tell the truth. Thats it now the whole world gets to read it.
Churchill
General
General

Researched and Paid for!!!

Post by Churchill » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Fair play you don't half make me laugh. You have a nerve though I will give you that. I talk to Bob on a weekly if not daily basis.
So I know exactly what you have discussed and what he is willing to paint for you. I talked to him about the content of what I was going to say and he had no problem with this.

And the fact is that you still try to blame other people for what you have done.

As for everything you say it is still to easy to clarify. As hopefully Bob will do as soon as Barry allows his entry to the forum. And as to painting more units well that was between you and Bob if the relationship between you and Bob is as you say then that should not be a problem. Should it?
It is true that Bob Lorton did paint 10 of my regiments for me and it is true I did except the kind comments without owning up to the fact that I hadn't painted the figures.
And is this not a comment from you when asked how you painted them
Heneborn, I've got two more regiments to do then I'll take some group photo's, but for the full force of Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery will take some time yet. Crying or Very sad

Barry and Rob, I use Vallejo paints mainly with a few Citadel and Foundry thrown in.As for technique with using the Front Rank miniatures range and looking at the WSS painted figures on there website I found Brian Phillip's website for a painting figure and flag guide this has been very helpful from the beginning of my collection and interest in the period.
I purchased all of Robert Hall's colour plates on the British regiments at Blenheim and Ramillies these have been a great help on uniform and flag information.
You even made a story up about a cheltenham supporting relative in Cheltenham. Oh how the lies mount up. I am just quoting fact not fiction
Darkman, the Cheltenham Town Fixture list is a running joke between a cousin of mine who does live in and support Cheltenham.Each year we exchange fixtures lists to see who does better and she always seems to think they'll do better than Newcastle United.
Full Topic
http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightin ... php?t=1881

You don't need me to discredit you try looking in the mirror sometime and see what looks back.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Gentlemen,

As a request from those of us who don't all the players could you please take this somewhere else.

Thank you.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 am

Have been reading through this post, very interesting info and the painted units are very inspiring. As the other half is Welsh, I think I might have to do the 23rd foot for sure.

Hope this isn't opening a big can of worms but when did the British foot start wearing the gaiters?
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:14 pm

hi Ray, thanks for the info, I went to the museum at caenarfon a couple of years ago, great castle

My WSS project will be a solo set up so I need to do the allies too. Prefer the French though, lol. I'm enjoying doing a bit of reading and have nearly finished 2 squadrons of French dragoons.

The gaiters thing is interesting. It seems Marlborough liked them and they were gradually adopted as the war progressed, stopped you loosing your shoes in the Flanders mud. I am intending to use the wargames factory generic plastic infantry when they come out but had thought of using Front Rank for a small British brigade but if I depicted the Brits without the gaiters then the plastics would do for them too at a pinch.

I guess you saw my latest post on the strength of the French horse?
Thanks for all your help, Simon
Churchill
General
General

Cavalry Flags are finished.

Post by Churchill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm

We'll be watching. I apprciate you sharing the photos. It's a real treat to see such fine brushwork. Work of that quality is rarely seen in Houston, Texas and certainly not coming off my painting table.