BLB CAN BE PRE ORDERED NOW!!!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:11 pm

I received my copy yesterday and has nearly read them all.

Firstly i have to say thankyou and well done to Barry and Clarence for an excellent product. As has been said by others, very high prodution, great quality, value for money and sooooooooo inspiring.

However, my one gripe (yes Barry you did expect one!), if i have to have one, is that the book is too small....thin...or slim!!! :x

I want more! :D

So, the good news is i presume that there will be some smashing add ons full of army lists, uniform guides, scenarios and ramblings of a general kind!

I hope so anyway.

I am very impressed. I have now put aside some of my other little projects and got out all that cavalry. Why are we always short on them horse fellas?

I remember so well the Holiday Centre bashes using the very early rules. The games of played with BLB are more fun! Although i remember a certain refight of Blenheim a few years ago where i was saddled with the wooden spoon of Marshall Tallard, hampered by very severe movement rules. I spent nearly a whole weekend putting figures back into boxes!!!

Congratulations to Barry and Clarence again on a great addition to our hobby.

Barry, i know you are the brains behind all of this, but can i say well done to Mrs Barry for ignoring the Glasgow shops over seeing them jwonderful logistics and making us all happy!

A haw hey!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 pm

I will tell Mrs Barry 8)
She will be pleased :wink:

I remember that Blenheim gig well. I think ALL of your cavalry were armed with wooden spoons Dean :roll:

Next year is the 300 Anniversary of Malplaquet. The League of Gentlemen are doing it as one of our programme but wouldn't it be nice if people like YOU, Andy, Graham Cummings, Lee Maxwell, Brian Phillips & me et al got together for a weekend and did it again... what say you chaps? A MASSED FIGURE version- full table, nice venue, weekend jobby what???
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Malplaquet

Post by Churchill » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 am

Barry if your short of a player for this pencil my name in please :wink:

Ray.

simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:23 am

I'd like to take part, but alas unless it is in the south I don't think it would be possible, mind you, are any of us here in southern England, maybe sometime we could put together a game?
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Barry,

You can certainly pencil me in for the big game weekend if you can get enough interest.

My collection has ballooned a fair bit since the last game anyway. I don't get to use them that often.

I'll try and get some one to insure me in case i get back strain from shovelling metal into boxes again! :)
GrahamC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GrahamC » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Malplaquet sounds great, I'm sure I could convince Lee. Withdrawl symptoms abound and after our last refight of Blenheim my fame with allied cavalry riding down the French knows no bounds.

Lee's collection has been grwoing steadily whilst I have diverted to GNW, but all the same ready, willing and able!!!

The last point may be debatable.

Graham C :P
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:46 am

Chaps,

from small ideas grow tangible plans 8)

I would be happy to get involved in coorganising such a refight and I think as a 'one off' there would be plenty of room for members of this forum.

Location is not a real problem for me as anyone who knows me will atest... have figures will travel is my motto.
We would have to get a bit of an organising group together. Location could be the Middle of England(as opposed to Middle England.. ie Derbyshire not Surbiton :wink: )

Malplaquet was a biggie. I would suggest a table of dimensions 20-30 feet by 8-12 feet. Probably up to 8 players per side. Fought over a weekend. Set up friday, finish Sunday mid pm.

I am not sure I personally have the time to organise it all but would be willing to cooperate with others as I have some experience in these kinds of things.

Could be a hotel venue but also could be somewhere else with access for extended periods.

I throw it open to anyone who'd like to chip in. Messrs Whitehouse,Cummings,Maxwell, Wallace, myself and the LoGW guys and proabably a few more of you out there have experience of these things and know what's what.

Let's see what kind of response we get to this post

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58 am

barr7430 wrote:
Malplaquet was a biggie. I would suggest a table of dimensions 20-30 feet by 8-12 feet.
I didn't realize you guys were so tall over there. :shock:
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am

Yes, I'm wondering how the average gamer would reach the center of an 8' wide table . . . not to mention one 12' wide.

My mind boggles.

-- Jeff
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:52 am

Long arms.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Pop up hatches chaps!!!! come on 8)

Henry Ford
reiver rob
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by reiver rob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 pm

How about on wires suspended above, like on 'Dancing on ice' (not that I watched it of course!)
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:40 pm

They all sprout wing's and fly :lol: :roll: Just follow Brian Blessed Ahhh :wink:

Ray.

thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:06 pm

To LoGW (English Chapter),
Biggest single table I believe we've had up here was 20' x 14'. Provided you have a suitable room, tables, boards etc, Barry will enlighten you :!:

As to pop ups :shock: - make sure "you are not the one" stuck in the pop up, they are very busy little nooks :wink:

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
GrahamC
Corporal
Corporal

Malplaquet

Post by GrahamC » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:40 am

Happy to help with anything, if I can have an indication of suitable time of the year, what people are happy to pay I will do a recce re a suitable venue.
Not to worried about finding somewhere for people to stay just need to find somewhere I'm happy with re the game, security etc and for little or no money.

Will report back on this shortly.

Don't let that stop anyone else looking.

GC