Gaming the Period on a 6x4 foot table?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
DaveCrowell

Gaming the Period on a 6x4 foot table?

Post by DaveCrowell » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I am looking to begin gaming this period, most likely with BLB as they seem to give the sort of game I am looking for, I am limited to a 6x4 foot table though.

My preference is for 28mm figures for their visual "heft", but am not opposed to using other scales.

I most enjoy gaming (relatively) smaller actions as opposed to full out huge battles (perhaps this is why I like the AWI so much? even the big battles were small), and strongly prefer element basing as opposed to single figures.

As I live in rural North America (where reference materials are non-existant), and I will have to provide both sides (at least initially), I am looking for suggestions as to a conflict, campaign or theatre that will provide the best gaming given my limitations and prefernces.

Thoughts on figures, references etc most welcome as well as suggestions of which war and which theatre.

I am not at all a "button counter", so I am quite happy with the idea of using the same grey coated infantry regiment for multiple armies, just switching out the flag as appropriate.

I also enjoy poking into odd corners of history and lesser known events. I have greatly enjoyed modelling wargames scenarios after real encounters or "could have beens" that are not on everybody's "Top Ten Battles of the _______ War" list.

So, with due appologies for the long post, I await your suggestions.
Yr Hmbl Svt, etc
Ouwerkerk

Post by Ouwerkerk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:43 am

Hi Dave,

I suggest you start to paint up some Danish units first. Plenty of reference on uniform via this site and the web. From there on you may chose the scanian wars (Danmark vs Sweden), or more versatile the Williamite war in Ireland. Danish troops served throughout the period with the Grand Alliance. Opponents: Jacobite units and French allies. The Danes fought many fights on the continent during the WSS period and Jacobite regiments continued to fight in the service of the French.

Lateron you may expand and add some Dutch/English units to the Danes etc.

Alternative to the Danes are the Dutch, who fought the French in Ireland and througout the GA/WSS period

success

Ouwerkerk
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 am

Depends what you want out of the game Dave. Your question is one of the reasons why I uncluded the little period primers and scenarios in BLB.
It's not all Oudenaarde, Malplaquet and Neerwinden.

Actions involved less than 10,000 men:
Sedgemoor Rebellion Regulars v irregular/militia with possibilities of many what ifs and alliances with foreign forces
Killiecrankie 1689 Highlanders and Irish v regulars
The Jacobite conflicts in general
Smaller actions in Ireland - numerous and varied
Tangier and the English adventure there
Smaller unit actions in Eastern Europe with Turkish forces and Imperialist opponents
Scanian Wars as mentioned or smaller actions during the GNW.

A 6 x 4 table is not a problem with BLB. The games could last from 1-3 hours depending on the force mix involved.

cheers
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi

you can`t go wrong with the jacobite rebellion in Ireland. Smallish battles. Uniforms were Red, Grey and a few blue or white which you can use as just about any body in europe.

Jim
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:40 pm

You can't go far wrong with the war in Ireland, smallish battles with almost allo European nations taking part to a greater or lesser extent.

have a look at a couple of blog posts for some flavour.

http://mywargamingcorner.blogspot.com/s ... 20AUGSBERG

http://thamesvalleywargamers.blogspot.c ... ENAISSANCE

Just bear in mind that I need more cavalry!
DaveCrowell

Post by DaveCrowell » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Thank you Gentlemen.

The Jacobite Wars in Ireland seem a good starting place. Actions of about the size I like, and troops that can be used easily for other places as well.

Eastern Europe is also a good possibility as I like the colourful troops involved.