Pikes

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Anonymous

Pikes

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:00 pm

I am aware that during the Nine Years War the infantry pike was increasingly going out of use but can people please let me know if there were any nations that did not use pikes in their infantry units at all during this conflict (apart, of course, from converged grenadiers, fusileers, etc)? Am I right in thinking that the Danes did not carry pikes?

I am also particularly interested in the Brandenburg Prussian army during the NYW. As well as not knowing if they carried pikes I only have the sketchiest of uniform details in Charles Grant's "From Pike to Shot". Can anyone point me in any other directions?

Thanks in anticipation
Nick
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:31 am

Nick,

the Danes appeared to drop the pike quite early. I think you may also find in some armies that the decision may have been left up to individual colonels. Other countries hung on to the pike such as the Swiss (almost and integral part of their warfare for o many centuries before) and of course most famously the Swedes who used it quite aggressively. I think the Russians also hung on to it a little longer.

I have a book on the Brandenburg army of this period(somewhere) but will not be able to access it until I´m home in the UK(about two weeks from now).

Maybe some other users have info at hand and can help.

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:15 pm

Barry,
Any news on those Brandenburg Prussians yet? Also interested in Hessians if you can recommend some sources.
Nick
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:43 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Nick... I forgot but immediately I have stretched about 4 feet to my bookshelf and found the book!

The Army of Brandenburg Prussia 1685-1715. Anthony Moore, Gosling Press.
Just nipping out right now for a few hours. If you post up some specific questions/ info you are looking for I'll summarise by return!!

Many apologies

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
wbamick
Private
Private

Brandenburg

Post by wbamick » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:35 pm

The best information on the Brandenburg army is available from Dan Schoor on CD, check out his great Northern War site. I am sure there is a UK distributor (Baccus maybe?) but I don't remember.

It is with out a doubt the most complete study I have seen for this general period. As for the pike issue, I will have to look into it when I get a chance.

Regards,
Bill Amick