Hessen-Kassel Drum colours

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Darkman
Major
Major

Hessen-Kassel Drum colours

Post by Darkman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Just coming to the end of painting my first unit of Hesse-Kassel infantry and I cannot find the colours of the drums.
Now I have the Robert Hall CD 1670-1730 and there is only one picture of a drum. It looks as though it is gold with gold cords and a red and white triangle design around the top and bottom.
Now there is an indication that the drums were issued from a central point and this implies that they would all be the same or similer.
Can anyone shed a bit more light on this please.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:28 pm

I would have thought you would have received a reply by now. Information on drums is difficult to come by. The drum you describe was brass not gold and the cords would have been a buff color.

For the most part, Hesse-Kassel drums had a wooden barrel or cylinder with the rims painted different colors dependening on the regiment. The Hessen lion on a blue background/shield would probably also appear on the barrel.

Since rim colors varied by regiment, if could provide the regiments for which you need information, I can see what I can dig up.

Regards,

Dan
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:28 pm

I would have thought you would have received a reply by now. Information on drums is difficult to come by. The drum you describe was brass not gold and the cords would have been a buff color.

For the most part, Hesse-Kassel drums had a wooden barrel or cylinder with the rims painted different colors depending on the regiment. The Hessen lion on a blue background/shield would probably also appear on the barrel.

Since rim colors varied by regiment, if could provide the regiments for which you need information, I can see what I can dig up.

Regards,

Dan
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi Dan thanks for the reply
Regiments are
Schopping
Wartensleben
Erbprinz
Grenadier
Struckrad (to do at some future point.)

Have repainted the basis of the drums as for the crest on the drums ha ha ha my eyes are not that good. Nor my painting skills.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Schöpping
Wagner/Golberg - Wood barrel/white rims
Kühn - Brown/white

Wartensleben
Wagner/Golberg - Wood barrel/red&white rims
Kühn - Brown/red&white (probably alternating diagonal stripes)

Erbprinz
Wagner/Golberg - Wood barrel/red rims
Kühn - Red barrel and rims with red and white cords

Grenadiers
Kühn - Brown/red

Strückrad
Kühn - Brown/red

With the exception of Erbprinz, Wagner/Golberg and Kühn are in agreement.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan