Dutch and Danish colours

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dutch and Danish colours

Post by Budyenny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:34 am

Gents,

I wonder if anyone has information on the following.

Although I have commercial flag images for one colour per batallion I find that it would look better if I was able to display two colours per infantry unit.

So my enquiry is, the Danes carried I believe a soveriegns colour or colonels colour and a regimental colour, what did the colonels or sovereigns colour look like?

The same for the Dutch, I have colours for what I believe are the regiments but nothing for a national, or colonels colour.

I should add that my armies are for the War of Spanish Sucession.
Does anyone have any images they are able to share for this enquiry.

My French all have two colours and info is more easily obtained for these, I use the Robert Hall plates for these.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Paul Ireland
To win or lose, it doesn't matter it's only a game!
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:54 am

Paul,

In both the Dutch and Danish armies each company carried a colour. The Colonel's or Leib/ Liv Company's colour was usually white, while the colours of the other companies was colored. In 1709, the Danes went to only two colours per regiment. Whether or not the units in Flanders did this is unknown, but I doubt it.

Both the Colonel's and Company colours normally bore the same motif.

For the Danes, I suggest Acedia Press' second volume for Danish colours, as well as some plates by Robert Hall that are available from the Pike and Shot Society.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dutch and Danish colours

Post by Budyenny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi Dan

Many thanks for your reply. Most imformative, so all colonels colours would be white with various other colours for the companies with the same motifs?

I have the second Acedia book you refer to but missed the point you refer to. It is a very good book. I have some of the Robert Hall plates from the Pike and Shot society, but typically not the ones on the Danes, at least not yet!

Regards

Paul
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Paul,

The rule about white Colonel's colour is not absolute. There were exceptions, but for the most part white dominated. Also, the same motif on colonel's and company colours is also a general rule. For example, in the Danish Prinz Georg Regt, each company, including the colonel's, had a different motif; although the field was white for the colonel's and green for the company colours.

Most of the information that we have on colours and standards of period of the WSS is based on captured colours that for the most part are illustrated in the work "Les Triomphs Louis XIV"; although some other work has been done by the likes of Kühn for the Dutch. Unfortunately, Kühn does not provide all of his sources, so it is difficult to verify.

Dan
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dutch and Danish colours

Post by Budyenny » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:02 am

Dan

I think I will stick to the suggestions you make. White for the colonels flags colours for the others, they will look good within the units this way. I used the green flagfor my Prince George without realising it was only the company flag, so I will produce a white one now based on your information.

Once again thank you for your help.

Paul
Churchill
General
General

Marlburian British Flag's

Post by Churchill » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Dan & Paul,

On the subject of Colonel's and Regimental Colours, I'm building all the British Regiments present at the Battle of Blenheim 1704.I to purchased all the Robert Hall prints on the Pike & Shot website, but not every Regiment is covered :( .
Most of the Colonel's used part of their family crest as the motif in the centre of their flag with various colour fields.The Regimental flag for the English Regiment's was mainly the Cross of St.George.These again may have had a motif or motto in the centre.Scottish Regiment's were using the white saltire on a blue field (Cross of St.Andrew) with various motif & motto in the centre.
I've received some help from Iain Stanford author of "Marlborough goes to war" and I've searched the Warflag website, but I'm still in need of further help.
Dan do you have any info. or can you point me in the right direction?
I have already done alot of research into the Welsh Fusiliers 23rd Foot by e-mailing Caenarfon Castle with no success.I have found the Ingoldsby Family Crest though and I will use part of this for their Colonel's flag.
Other British Regiment's not covered by Robert Hall are Howe's 15th Foot,
Derby's 16th Foot, Ingoldsby's 23rd Foot, Marlborough's 24th Foot and Meredith's 37th Foot.Iain has supplied all the uniform info, but I still need their flag info.

Any help would be grateful...........Ray.

danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 am

Ray,

I wish that I could be of help, but information on colours and standards for English and Scottish units in the WSS is a bit of a "black -" when it comes to details. The Triomphs Louis XIV contains nothing on the units you listed. Sorry.

Dan
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Dan,

Back to the drawingboard :( I wonder where Robert Hall found his uniform and flag info from to publish his colour plates :?
I think I'll use each regiments facing colour as the field for each flag and research each colonel's family crest for the motif and for the regimental flag I'll just use the Cross of St.George with the same motif in the centre.

Thanks for your help...........Ray.

Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dutch and Danish colours

Post by Budyenny » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Ray

Sorry for the delay in replying, I work away from home during most of the wwek and do not take my laptop as I am not able to receive e mail.

So apologies over. I thank you for your input on British flags. I would not have any problem with your suggestion of placing the crests in the centres of the flags as you suggest. With little info available I would think a little issue like this is ok. Anyone disagrees then that is up to them, as long as it looks right and good on the table and most of all you are happy with the result.

I personally do not have any Brits in my allied army as of yet, still concentrating on my French. Five btns to go, four heavy guns and crew, five marchals, one horse regt, phew! Then a big game.

What scale are you doing your stuff in? Mine are all Front Rank.

One of my gaming mates has a large British army and he is now placing two colours per regt, I will ask him for information to help you if you wish.

Regards

Paul
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Paul,

My British are all Front Rank figures also and I have 2 battalions painted 1st Foot Guards, 26th Foot these can be viewed on my Blenheim OOB thread that I posted some months ago.
I have another 4 battalions almost painted 1st Foot Royal Scots (2 battalions), 10th Foot and the 21st Foot.
This will leave 8 battalions and 7 regiment's of cavalry to do.

Regards..............Ray.