Troops in Ireland 1690

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Spiraluk
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Troops in Ireland 1690

Post by Spiraluk » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi all

I've been reading up on the battles in Ireland, and am duly inspired to make it a focus of my sculpting efforts. I therefore have two questions for you.
Is it worth me putting sprigs of leaves in the hat bands for the Williamites, and cockades for the Jacobites, or should i leave them plane?
If I do put them in, how did the Jacobites wear their cockades, and what shape were they.

Cheers
Bill T

"Here to add tone to an otherwise vulgar brawl"
www.musketeer-miniatures.com
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:46 pm

Hi,

I am a bit dubious about cockades or sprigs being more than feild signs adopted on the day of battle; certainly used on the day of the Boyne, and quite possibly retained thereafter, but I can't recall any specific reference.

I think the allies did habitually use the green sprig on the continent, the Jacobites were following the French (though the black cockade must have taken over later?). I read somewhere (The Boyne Water perhaps) that only Jacobite officers could get their hands on cockades; troops had to make do with paper or linen scraps. For this reason I used paper squares for my 15mm forces (mind you the paper yellowed badly after about a year).

Unless you want to specifically make them identifiably different I would leave the hats plain and let the customer decide.

Don't know if this is useful; I am sure someone here can speak with more authority.

Clibinarium