Turning the clock back.....

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Turning the clock back.....

Post by curassier » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:42 pm

Having just seen the long-awaited Poles by TAG on the Frothers unite forum I was wondering what might be needed to push the ULB rules back a decade or two? What are your thoughts Barry? The TAG range includes some very "Thirty years war" looking figures as well as some of the more exotic Polish types - but it is still very much pike and shot (well axe and shot I suppose). Would you push back ULB or use some variant of the 1644 Rules? Any suggestions most welcome.
Jon
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:50 pm

Guys,
I'm sorry that I haven't posted up the 1644 amendments yet but I will , honest!

They all started during the happy years I spent gaming with Alasdair Jamison and David Shuttleworth who alas now live some 200 miles from my home. Alasdair in particular was(and is) very interested in the TYW as well as the ECW. Adaptation of the then popular 1644 to TYW was a logical choice and the amendments covered firstly:

Use of Lances(Polish Winged Hussars), Tartars and Croats, then Tercios, then Swedish Brigade formations then spread to the Turks Sipahis and Janissaries etc etc.
We adapted the morale rules a little (they are far too simple and accommodating as written). I greatly enjoyed those games as we played many of the big battles such as Nordlingen, Lutzen,Wittstock, Breitenfeld and many smaller actions with Poles, Turks, Muscovites and Tartars.

As to the use of ULB I think I would really have to think hard about that. My gut reaction is that ifantry combat rules would have to be re written to place more emphasis on the pike and its use. I may get round to it but as I have said before, I am very happy to hear and see the ideas of others and don't mind if you want to tinker around with ULB and then share your conclusions.

All the best

Barry
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford