Great Northern War Swedes

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Great Northern War Swedes

Post by martin terroni » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:22 am

Hi , can anybody help with facing colours for the swedes, I am aware of buff/yellow facings. But were there other colours and any other colour than blue coats??? I have the Poltva book from osprey, but not the most informative for uniform colours for the swedes.

Any help would be appreciated

cheers MR T
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
Spiraluk
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Spiraluk » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:09 am

Hi Martin
As well as yellow, there were regiments with red, blue(lighter than the coat colour), white and even one with orange. Yellow seems to have been the most common. It seems also that the colour of the linings was also the colour of their gaters/stockings. Bacus miniatures(6mm stuff) sell a great book with details of every regiments details plus standards. its not cheap, but I don't know of anything better.
Bill T

"Here to add tone to an otherwise vulgar brawl"
www.musketeer-miniatures.com
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

GNW

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:53 am

Oh Dear!... Mr Terroni is developing a severe case of Period-Hoppingitis! :shock:

The quantum leap jump from Arab Israeli modern desert warfare to the Ukraine in 1709 is not one which I would have expected from you Sir! :?

Where is this coming from? What scale? Which figures? Out with it! :twisted:

Fanastic reference : Karoliner: Aberg&Gorannson. Unfortunately all in Swedish but worth it even just for the illustrations. I got my copy through a friend in Sweden who bought it in a second hand book shop for next to nothing. I know people in the UK who've paid over £40 for the same book! :wink:

I have a rule set which I developed specifically for this period about 5 years ago. It works very well on the principle of EFFECTIVENESS NUMBERS. :idea:
These are calculated by multiplying the number of men in the unit x their experience x motivation.
Each action - march, fire, fight, reform costs points. Eventually when their number reaches zero they can do nothing but defend themselves. I have been meaning to format and circulate for a long time but have never found the opportunity or time.. but maybe 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Psst

Post by Anonymous » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:56 am

Psst got any Sash and Sabre stuff yet barry
Regards Lindsay (tee hee) Laughing up sleeve.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:25 pm

now, now, no need to be facetious!

I have NOT (as yet) bought anything from Sash & Saber and was extremely proud that I achieved a 'first' for me at Claymore....

I bought 8 dice total cost £3 and that was before the show even opened. My wife has pointed out however that in the previous 28 days I spent more than £500 on 'wargaming' and that was without the trip to the US :oops: :oops:

Oh well it keeps me away from -, prostitutes and alcohol

Saint Barry of Kilbride 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Ok

Post by Anonymous » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:28 pm

ok as yet says it all
:lol: L
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi Barry, I have a year off for demo game production as Bob is doing the Crimea for 2006. So I have no fixed project for next year, therefore I am covering a couple of periods. Started on 15 mm for arab- israeli wars, which I bought from old glory at Claymore, along with an order to Peter Pig. But I had some basing to finish off on my 6mm Great Northern War from Baccus. I bought these in 2003/04, but were put on the back burner, when I saw the wee fella's based up , they reminded me why I had got into the scale and period. So I am going to get on with these as well, I have about £200 worth of 6mm to paint! I don't know if anyone else is like this but, if I don't have an objective like a demo game to put on, I tend to lose my focus for one period and end up painting odds and sods, so hopefully these 2 will keep me focussed, with the odd 25mm painting chucked in. P.S thats twice I have meant to buy the particular book from Baccus, but never got around to it or forgot. :roll:
p.s thanks for all the information everybody cheers :D
cheers mr t
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:52 pm

This man Terroni has too much time on his hands. :wink:

Only yesterday he was asking if I was needing a hand with the scenery for Sevastopol (next years presentation), I did mention that I have some fortifications needing painted. and he has graciously offered to do this to his usual high standards. I see that I will have to keep him more pre-occupied.

Martin, I have a box loada stuff needing doing, but still got my head buried in the figures for the present

See you Saturday, and we can have a look see at whats needing done :lol:

Thinredline
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:28 pm

I wonder if its about 600 russian infantry by any chance, I am sure I could get around to them at some time in the next 10 years :lol:

See you Saturday :)

Mr T

I ain't goin' on no damn plane, FOOL!