NYW Generals colours

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

NYW Generals colours

Post by yar68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:55 am

I'm painting up an English/allied army for the Nine Years War. What colours have you painted your Generals & Brigade leaders?
Obviousley most of the English leaders would have been in a red coat with various cuff colours, but what about the likes of Waldeck, Casimir, Ouwerkerk, and the other Dutch & German leaders?
I was thinking of painting them up in the colours of the units they were Colonels of, e.g Waldeck was the Colonel of Dutch Cavalry Regt No9, which wore either a Grey coat lined in red or a white coat lined pink!
I searched the internet but most painting of the generals have them in the old style cuirassier armour, so the uniform cannot be seen. I'd be very greatful to hear your comments and ideas.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Have you googled them, wikipedia etc? Click images and there you may find a painting done of them in uniform.

Joe
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:59 pm

I've just finished 4 brigade commanders and 2 generals, My Dutch chaps are in dark blue or grey and my danish fellas are in brown or white.
Historically i know Prince Eugene wore a brown coat at Blenheim(with gold lace)(Osprey MAA Marlboroughs army) but he also wore cuirassier armour.
I'm thinking generals on both sides would have a variety of coats and as long as the baggage wasnt lost they wore what they felt like wearing.The tailors generals went to would be hardly likely to be bothered about matching the correct shade of grey to a particular regiment.After all it would be a one off with a lot of lace.
Also on the front cover of The wars of louis XIV by John .A.Lynn French generals can be seen in dark blue,brown and red,some with great red cloaks.Hats are brown or black and trimmed white,red or what appears to be light blue! The artist is not mentioned but is seemingly of the period. If i had a scanner i'd include the picture, but if you type the title in at Amazon the front cover will come up!
Lastly i have a print of a tapestery by De Vos from De Hondts art of war showing a Dutch General in blue coat,black hat with silver trim and buff riding boots.Very trendy.

However, i feel you should paint them as you see fit , after all its a brave soldier who tells a general what to wear! :D
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)