Danish uniforms - who to believe?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:29 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:
obriendavid wrote: I've got Bemalungsangaben fur die Zeit des Spanischen Erbfolge Krieges...
Sounds bad, Dave. Have you seen a doctor?

Jim
Nice one Jim!

Now stop being a smart a**e and go and answer the question about cavalry versus sqares.
Cheers
Dave
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Barry,

source is "Danish Force in Ireland" by Danaher & Simms. The uniform does change during the Great Northern War to white/gris-mesle coat faced in orange. Am trying to tap my contacts in Denmark for more exact information on both sets of info.

- Mike.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:20 pm

obriendavid wrote:Now stop being a smart a**e and go and answer the question about cavalry versus sqares.
Cheers
Dave
I honestly see nothing wrong with the rules on this as they stand. Cavalry charging a formed square were usually disordered beyond recognition and the rout result reflects the time they would take to recover... if at all.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Dan Schorr's website has great articles on the Danish Army in the Scanian War and WSS. Any cyphers in the 1690s would be "C5.". If you can't find a specific flag for 1690s, I would default to the Scanian War flag.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Dan Schorr's website has great articles on the Danish Army in the Scanian War and WSS. Any cyphers in the 1690s would be "C5.". If you can't find a specific flag for 1690s, I would default to the Scanian War flag.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Can you provide the link to Dan's site as the one I've had doesn't seem to work. Also, I'm looking for flags in the 1700s not the 1690s. Thanks.
pete17
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pete17 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Dan Schorr's website has great articles on the Danish Army in the Scanian War and WSS. Any cyphers in the 1690s would be "C5.". If you can't find a specific flag for 1690s, I would default to the Scanian War flag.
Hi that's what I was thinking, the book on the great northern War by acedia press has a few infantry flags with no cypher, so this may also be an option for Ireland in the 1690's.

Personally I'm hoping for green with orange facings, then green with red facings and yellow and carmine for the guards for Ireland in the 1690's.... should make a colourful contingent.

cheers Pete
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Regarding Dan Schorr's site, I am told tht it goes down once it gets a certain number oof hits. You then have to try again in a few days.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Danish uniforms - who to believe?

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:48 pm

This is kind of bringing a thread back from the dead, but i was looking though my Danish materials and came up with the following thoughts about the Danish uniforms in Ireland, so I thought I would share them, FWIW. Here is what I have been able to gather on the subject. If anyone has anything more specific, please let me know.

In his “Chakoten” article on the Danish Army 1699-1720, translated by Dan Schorr, Tortstein Snorrason quotes a Royal Decree of January 24, 1691 that shows the following colors:

Life Guards Yellow with Red lining
Queen’s Red with Yellow lining
Prins Frederick Gray with Dark Red lining
Prins Christian Gray with Yellow lining
Prins Georg Gray with Orange lining
Seeland Gray with Blue lining
Jydske Gray with Red lining
Fynske Gray with Green lining

In another article on the Scanian War on Dan’s old Northern Wars website, Olaf Hasselager and Snorrason show the following during the later years of the war.

Life Guards Red with Yellow lining
Queen’s Red with Yellow lining
Prins Frederick Blue with Dark Red lining
Prins Christian Blue with Yellow lining
Prins Georg Blue with Orange lining
Seeland Gray with Blue lining (1679)
Jydske Gray with yellow lining (1677)
Fynske Gray with Green lining (August 1677) (green with yellow in 1676)

These colors are the same as shown for 1679 in a typed manuscript study by Hasselager that I got from the Tøjhusmeet in the mid-1980s (not sure when it was written). All this research seems very thorough and reliable.

The Life Guards uniform was changed in 1686 to yellow with red. The Queen’s Regiment remained the same. The facing colors of the other regiments, with the exception of the Jydske regiment were that same under the 1691 decree and they were in the late 1670s. The obvious change is that the three “enlisted” regiments named after the princes were gray in 1691 instead of blue. It is also worth noting that the lining colors remained consistent, for the most part, through the early 1700s, until the uniforms were changed to red. See Hoglund et al., and Snorrason.

From the foregoing, it would seem a safe conclusion that the facing colors in 1690 were, with the possible exception of Jydske, the same as the late Scanian War. However, there are some sources that are inconsistent with that theory.

Vaupel shows Fynske in green with white in 1685 and this has been adopted by the artist in the Osprey book on the Boyne. Vaupel also indicates light green with orange for Prins Georg, but this has been said to be a misreading of his handwriting by the publisher and it should be light gray and orange.

An eyewitness describes the following uniforms of Danish infantry in Ireland in 1690(?) but does not state which regiments they are: green with red; blue with white; grey with blue; and gray with green. What are we to make of this? Green was the traditional color of the Fynske regiment (indeed it is referred to as “The Green Regiment” in reports to the King of Denmark from Ireland), and I have found no other regiment that ever wore green. Yet here we have a regiment supposedly with green coats and another with green linings. In 1676, one of the Fynske regiments wore green with yellow linings, but the two Fynske regiments were amalgamated after the Battle of Lund in December 1676 and every source shows that the regiment wore gray with green linings by the end of the war. I am inclined to believe that the regiment with gray coats and green linings was Fynske. True, there is some indication that Fynske wore green coats with white at some time in the 1680s but there is no indication that they ever wore green with red linings. So, perhaps the green with white reference is an inversion of white (gray) with green?

I am also inclined to think the regiment wearing gray with blue is Sjaeland, since those colors were worn by it in the late 1670s and thereafter.

So which regiments are green with red and blue with white? One possibility is that the green coats were actually faded blue (although it is usually the other way around) and the regiment was Prins Frederick. If one accepts that Prins Georg wore green with orage, it is possible the reporter described orange as red, but I theink this is unlikely. Likewise, the regiment with blue coats and yellow linings, might be Prins Christian, with the yellow having faded to a whitish color.

If the January 1691 decree actually required a change of uniform colors, as opposed to confirming the status quo for these regiments, it is unlikely that the changes were implemented while they were in Ireland, since there is every indication that there was difficulty in even supplying new recruits. It does seem likely that they would have been the colors worn after these units went to Low Countries.

Absent any evidence of a change in a unit’s flags between the Scanian War and 1690, I would use the flags used in the Scanian War. Any flags showing the order of the Elephant (a small elephant dangling from a blue ribbon or a chain) would not have been carried in Ireland, since the Order was not established until 1693. Also, any flag with an “F4” monogram would be WSS/GNW time frame, as Frederick IV became king in 1699. Christian V was king from 1670 to 1699 and his monogram was a “C” intertwined with a “5."

I'm certainly open to comments an corrections. Hope this is of help to those who want to paint the Danish contingent.
pnorberg
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by pnorberg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

http://tacitus.nu/karoliner/armeer/danm ... anteri.htm
For translation, you can use Google's translation page .. http://tacitus.nu/karoliner/armeer/danm ... anteri.htm
Or anyone else.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:22 am

I'd planned to paint up Prince George's regiment myself, now I'm even more confused, grey, green and now blue coats, so I've asked the question on my blog. I'd prefer to paint them up in green to be honest, even though now it seems they may not have even wore it in the first place.

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... stion.html
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/