Wargames factory WSS infantry

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Wargames factory WSS infantry

Post by dashing blade » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:11 pm

I've just seen the new WSS infantry from Wargames factory. I thought that plastic figures for this perod would be ideal,as the amount of troops to field a large army would be a lot cheaper. I feel slightly disapointed as they dont seem as good as most metal figures i've seen.

The painted figures i saw seemed rather old fashioned looking,it may well be the way they are painted or the way they're cast ,but.......well they look rather thin in the head and neck and wide round the waist. I'm told that each spure can form lots of different variants,which is fantastic!..but maybe in the hands of a true sable brush weilding paint god , they'd look fantastic? First impressions i'm afraid ,last.

i maybe being a little harsh? any thoughts? :(
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:51 pm

I'd have to agree with your assessment. I'm not impressed even at the price they are at. It is a nice start but they've got a ways to go before they are at the quality of metal. But if it brings more people into this period then that's a good thing.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I believe they are using a software application (similar to ZBrush but more advanced according to them) to create their figures rather then the old fashioned greens.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:16 pm

My disclaimers up front: 1) I'm pretty committed to Front Rank for WSS 2) I don't really like any figures, metal or plastic that have assembly, including something as simple as putting on arms

Having said that, I was fairly interested in seeing how they would turn out and made some comments in the forums along the way. The slender style is fine stylewise knowing my preference from (1) above.

But I'm disappointed also. They really look like pinheads. Part of it I think is that the necks are too long and someone has commented that the heads could be seated lower. That's good, but sounds like more work.

I'd like to see more of these, perhaps with improvements.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 am

I have to say that when I saw the Greens on their site I was quite impressed,
I have an ongoing collection of 10mm in this period but would have painted up a few units just to give them a go. However I couldn't agree more with the guys above. Not particularly well painted faces for display figs (still better than I could do though) small heads, and the standard bearer from the side looks chubby!
I really think that heads more in proportion to the bodies would have made such a difference.
Will be interested in what others say, some may love them. Bit disappointed really.
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
Churchill
General
General

Wargames Factory WSS

Post by Churchill » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:33 pm

I've read some posts on other sites gushing over these figures and I've also heard some negative comments. I'd like to see some painted by Barry or David Imrie before I pass judgement. The current photos make them look more like the old "toy soldiers" than the miniatures which we see now. In any event, its hard to beat Front Rank and it looks like we'll have a nice new range here in the near future. Having said all that, I've ordered a couple of boxes through the local hobby shop just to see how they shake out.
kustenjaeger

Post by kustenjaeger » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Greetings

I'll be interested to see them in real life. I don't think the painted examples are particularly flattering.

It would appear that there is definitely a market for these, albeit I don't know how much of one. I suspect that the market may be in addition to rather than instead of the current metal manufacturers.

Regards
Edward
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Just had a look. Design looks very retro. Not for me.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:49 pm

If they have sorted out how to sculpt a horse that looks like a horse then the cavalry might be of some interest but I am not counting on it. I expect I will buy a box of these just as conversion fodder and for making casualty markers but I had hoped they would have sorted out their technique with the digital sculpting before they got to a period that I was interested in.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I would agree that they are not the best figures available for the WSS, Front Rank are much better but the price is good at $19.99/£15 for 36 figures. My understanding is that there is not too much construction required as two thirds of the figures only require the heads glueing on.

Hopefully they'll attract more people to wargame the period who wouldn't have considered doing it in 28mm due to the cost of the metal figures. The cost is a big factor for me and I wouldn't be able to afford to do this period if it was metal figures only, best wishes, Simon
Andy R

Post by Andy R » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm

simon boulton wrote:two thirds of the figures only require the heads glueing on.
Hi Simon,

they also require the hanger gluing on as well.

My gripe here is the hilt is the wrong way round with the knuckle bow pointing backwards - simple mistake that is not easily rectified due to the way it is moulded.

The R&F are okay and actually make quite nice units. They are not as nationalistic as Front Rank and very reminiscent of the Wargames Foundry range in so far as being generic. The officer/drummer/ensigns left me a bit cold as the concept was good, but the execution was lacking.

I will not add to my French I think as the Front Rank figures look too good to be watered down, but I will add Hanoverian and Bavarian elements using these figures.

I think the sculpting is let down by the virtual tools they use. The 3D digital renders looked a lot better than the final product. I guess there is a lot to be said about making a physical master.

The coat skirts could be fuller, the waists could be better defined, but not as bad as some figures out there and worth the price.

I hope to have the first Bavarian's painted soon.

BR
Andy
Tallardless
Private
Private

Post by Tallardless » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I am afraid that I agree that the WF stuff is not all it might be. :oops:

I have recommended to a friend who is planning a Prussian army to wait until Perry Mins bring out their rumoured plastic Marlburians in 2011. 8)

Meantime I looking forward to painting up some of Barry's new boys :idea:
Shep
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 am

I decided to order a copy of boxes from On Military Matters now because they tossed in a 20% discount for pre-orders. I take a stab at putting figures together and see how they turn out. For around $40 I'm not breaking the bank.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 pm

18th Century Guy wrote:I decided to order a copy of boxes from On Military Matters now because they tossed in a 20% discount for pre-orders. I take a stab at putting figures together and see how they turn out. For around $40 I'm not breaking the bank.
Excellent Mr. Guy, you can be our "test pilot". :)
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 pm

I will do my best not to crash the plane! :)