Extremely unaware new person

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Evil Money

Extremely unaware new person

Post by Evil Money » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello,

I am as the title suggests new both here and to the period having been lured in by evil-doer types at my club. I have some grasp of WoSS affairs and a reasonable knowledge of the ECW, however the bit in between is all a little vague and blurry. I have however been co-erced into getting some of the Front Rank late 17th Century figures to start gaming that era. They're lovely models, so I'm entirely delighted on that front - the problem is deciding how/what to paint them as? My most regular opponent is going for a Williamite conglomeration of Dutch/Danish/English. A less regular opponent is building an Irish Jacobite force. The dilemma I face is trying to work out what would be a good choice for fitting in to play against them. From what I can gather options are a little limited; to oppose the Williamite, something Jacobite (Scots/Irish?) or French? I don't know enough detail of battles/period to have acquired any big favouritisms; the only two factors influencing me have been, I painted a lot of French WoSS in 6mm and I really love the look of the Scots in red coats with their big blue saltires. Reading a couple of articles was taken by the option of a slight 'what if' option of redcoat Scots who fight for James with French allies/jacobite units? I don't really know enough of the Scottish Jacobite rising to know what sort of units were at their disposal. The other option I'd pondered was some colours that with a flag swap could have multiple uses - but wasn't how much sure flag swapping really is in practice.
Anyway, enough uniformed drivel. Any and all suggestions and possible sparks of inspiration welcome :D
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 am

Welcome to the board!
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 am

Well, if your wargaming partner is building Dutch, you're pretty much stuck painting French, WoSS Spanish, or WoSS Bavarians if you want historical opponents.

The WoSS Spanish are my suggestion if you get tired of painting lots of the same color. Otherwise, a French army is the most useful - they can fight anybody!
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Money

Post by Evil Money » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, and thank you Churchill for the intro.
I think I'm finding it a harder period than others to get a grasp of due to (seemingly) there being less famous/big battles in the glorious revolution/Irish campaign and 9YW, or at least they're less easy to find details of, than other periods I've done before.
I think as you say, a James oriented force with a French core would seem like it'll get the most play opportunities given the Williamite is my likely regular opponent. What would be really useful is to be able to find units that could be painted up to suit being used in Ireland and then in the 9YW after. I'm guessing there will be precious few if any historical units that fought in both. Having dabbled in the WSS Polemos I'm familiar with some of the French serving units, including the Irish like Clare and Lee but not really sure if any would have overlap. Did any of the French/Irish/Scottish units leave at the failure of the rebellion and then fight on the mainland again?
I apologise if these are quite spectacularly uninformed questions, this does seem to be the best resource for the period that I've found online by far!

Edit - I seem to have stumbled upon 'wild geese' which looks promising on the Irish moving front (courtesy of your painting thread actually Churchill), however as I bore the kids with everyday, wikipedia is not the world authority on everything so any additional help still massively appreciated!
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am

Hi New Fellow,

My friend Churchill is a veritable mine of information on this period and has some of the nicest WSS models I have ever seen so, you can't go far wrong by following his advice. If you are looking for a Franco-Irish army then you may wan't to take a look at my wee effort.

LINK

The troops are Copplestone Castings and are actually meant for the period circa 1665 but, I have no problems using them right up to 1710. I'm sure that some of the "purists" or Wargames Fashion Police as Barry likes to call them would complain but, it would be a real fanatic who would wish to paint up several versions of the same army just because of a slight uniform change every ten or so years.

I wish you well in your efforts and please post some pictures when you get going.

With warmest regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Money

Post by Evil Money » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks again for the responses. That's a brilliant thread Jim and a great source of inspiration. So much so that I sorted out some strips of wood to mount the figures buring the spraying/painting phase. So they can now sit on there for months with nothing happening as is traditional in my painting technique...
Doubly interesting to see you're a 'dip' user. A convert myself after knocking out a load of romans in what for me was record time, and them looking remarkably good considering the time saved by my varnish-stain little friend.

I've managed to order a copy of 'William's wars in Scotland and Ireland' or title similar to that by partizan press that I've seen mentioned here so that will hopefully help me identify the actual regiments to start on.

Anyway, a massive help thus far, thanks, can finally start thinking about getting the little chaps started.

Edit - just noticed I missed the 'k' in my username, so monkey is now money...idiot that I am... although maybe this is some deeply thought out stance against capitalism that I didn't realise I was having.
kippax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by kippax » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:11 pm

dont worry money is evil anyway :twisted:
makes me do bad things with it ,anyway welcome to the forum,im like you new to all this.
im slowly collecting a british brigade for now ,2 years on still havent decided which brigade but enjoying all the research and collecting figures for it even though ive no one local to learn and battle with yet ,someday they will come out of the box and join in a battle well fingers crossed.
enjoy yourself on here and never be shy to ask the silliest of questions they get answered ..
regards
andrew
"Stupid Boy"
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Welcome to an interesting period Mr. Money. If you haven't already found Barry's "Quick and Dirty" guides in the Warchest they are very inspiring and helpful, particularly the multi-use of units one.

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/warchest/pdf/76.pdf