Horse Guards and Horse Grenadier Guards

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Horse Guards and Horse Grenadier Guards

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:38 am

Is it me or does anybody else fine early British lineage hard to follow. William III has Horse Guards which is 1 to 5 troops at times and Horse Grenadier Guards with 1 to 4 troops at times. This is what I have gathered from www.regiments.org

To add to the confusion the 1st Regiment of Horse is also refered to as The Royal Regiment of Horse Guards. Better known as Oxford Blues.

For service in Flanders does anybody know if these troops of Horse Guards and Horse Grenadier Guards were brigaded together to form a regiment. Or is it fair to say that (for wargaming LOA) that they should both be single sqn regiments of 5 to 6 men.

cheers,

Ed
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Engish cavalry GA Period

Post by barr7430 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:53 am

Hi Ed and welcome to the site!

British cavalry of this period is quite difficult to get a grip on for various reasons such as:

1. Regimental name usually changes with a change in colonel.
2. English (there were very few regiments of other nationality ie Scots, Welsh,Irish) regiments were usually very small when compared with their continental counterparts.

With regard to your choice of units of course the world is your oyster but what I've always tried to do is pick units which will give the widest possible scope of use and theatre. In this period many uniforms across several armies wore much the same clothes. Distinguishing features varied from the obious: standards to the less obvious, lace loops, buttons, pocket arrangements etc.

There is a huge volume of links in the forum of this site, book references, articles and tips from the users. I have been meaning to sift and sort into a 'one location archive' for some time but just have not found the time yet.

What I suggest in the meantime is have a surf over the various discussion topics posts by the likes of :

Lindsay
Paul Mc
Barr7430
Pappenheim

will give you a starter for 10. I'll do a little hunt around to day and se what I can find.

Also.... my understanding is that Horse Guards Troops 1-4(later to become the Life Guards) never served outside of Englands shores during the Wars of the Grand Alliance so maybe you want to consider that in your regimental constructions.

All the best

Barry

PS for ease of access I've shifted this topic to the 'Grand Alliance Forum ' hope you don't mind!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford